Display Boxes - Stacking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kirkfranks

kirkfranks

I took some time recently to make up some Display Boxes to store and carry my pens in.

I had recently put us some Maply Crown Moulding in the kitchen and of course I needed to order more than the actual amount needed "just in case:wink:"
Well I didn't mess up too badly on the install so here are the "just in cases."

1_100_0658a.jpg

I made the actual grooved pen part by routing the grooves in 1 by pine boards. Each case holds 10 pens.
I used the tutorial from Serge for this part.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2007/Pen_Boxes.pdf

1_100_0656a.jpg

I took my time with the moulding and through some planning and some more trial and error discovered the correct angle so the the boxes would be able to securely stack one on top of the other.
Since it is crown moulding the "back side" edges already are set at a 45 degree angle. By setting the moulding in the miter box at an 8 degree angle it made the bottom of the box flare out just enough that the edge of the bottom of the box nests securely outside the top edge of the box below with the two 45 degree edges sitting on each other (Note that the 8 degree angle would be specific to this particular style of moulding.)

1_100_0661a.jpg

I set the insert into the moulding frame using spines running the full length of each side. This way I was able to let the insert "float" and not have to worry about cross grain movement and glueup.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom