Disassembly Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmarc

OOPS!
I made a cigar pen wrong and would like to salvage the kit. I've seen mention that it is possible to dissasemble pens for various reasons. I have also seen the tools on PSI and BH. Would any of these help? Or should I just chalk all of this up to a learning experience?

Any and all help appreciated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Don't waste your money on any of the disassembly tools. Get a set of transfer punches from Harbor Freight. With those, you can take virtually any pen apart. A cigar is, BTW, just about the easiest there is to disassemble.

Pipes

Don't panic !! A cigar is pen a simple to disasemble IMO !! Iam a one finger typer and can't explain it like I should !! Iam suree one a the folks a speak right up and !! you just need a couple a basic tools a punch and a wooden hammer and it a all come apart easy ....

http://affordablepipes.com/

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have the pen and pencil disassembly kits from PSI at my Japan home. Here in the States, I purchased a Harbor Freight punch set and it does just as good. I disassemble occasionally and find these to be very helpful.

woodmarc

Great! there is hope![:)]

Now for the tough questions, then HOW do I go about seperating the 2 compressed parts inside the top of the pen. I could probably figure out the rest.
I guess I'll be stopping in at HF for lunch tomorrow. For 8 bucks you can't really go wrong.

JimQ

For the top, first use the largest punch that will fit through the center band to punch off the clip assembly. Then use the largest that will fit in the tube to punch off the center band.

For the bottom, unscrew the transmission, and use the largest punch that fits through the coupler to push off the nib assembly. Then use the larger one to punch off the coupler. DAMHIK!!![:I]

JimQ

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />HF punch set. Cheap and helpful to have.

The set is $20.00. I'm in Little Rock right now and the Harbor Freight is near where I'm going for dinner. I haven't bought the punch set yet because it causes great pain whenever I part with $20.00. [;)] But, this week I made a major boo-boo on an otherwise great pen. Can't tell you what kind because we are not allowed to say "Little Havana" here.[;)] But, with the punches and the kindness of Nils, ole' LH will rise again.

woodmarc

Here is a photo of the pen. For Posterity

2006524204844_DCP_3040a.jpg
<br />

I thought I did a nice job on the pen. A cigar in stabilized Box Elder Burl. All was well until i assembled the pen an realized that I mixed up the blanks. I used the short blank for the bottom! DOH![:eek:)]
If you'll notice, the pen is closed.!?!

That what I get for turning an listening to the Sabres on the radio at the same time!

Thanks for all the help folks. You have ALL been an inspiration. Now that I have figured out which end is the working end of a chisel, I hope to post more.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One note: Take rings off left hand (assuming you are hammering with right hand) to avoid leaving scratches on your pen parts (wood).

woodmarc

Thanks for that tidbit. With the luck I have been having of late, that would have been then finishing touch to a bad pen experience. [|)]

I finally got to HF. In store the punch set was 9.99. Still a good deal.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />HF punch set. Cheap and helpful to have.

The set is $20.00. I'm in Little Rock right now and the Harbor Freight is near where I'm going for dinner. I haven't bought the punch set yet because it causes great pain whenever I part with $20.00. [;)] But, this week I made a major boo-boo on an otherwise great pen. Can't tell you what kind because we are not allowed to say "Little Havana" here.[;)] But, with the punches and the kindness of Nils, ole' LH will rise again.

I bought a set at the HF in Little Rock, Arkansas this week, $10.00, not twenty. Coulda saved a buck on sale, Oh, well. I fixed the Little Havana with it and and consider my investment as recaptured already.

woodmarc

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />You know you can add an "oops" (or 2, one at each end) ring to the lower barrel and make the pen a "keeper".

I think I will. I not only assempled the pen incorrectly. I got the part mixed up on the lather. That's were the problem started. I will have to return the lower tube and come up with an intersting way to "fix" the upper.
Any suggestions? This is my second cigar, and I am design challenged. [:D]
I'm thinging maybe a small band of blackwood. tapered to meet with the undersized tube.
But how will that look with the box elder?

kf4knf

I have been reading this thread awhile hoping something would be posted that would make this subject a little more clear. No such luck

I see the punches everyone recomends by my question is how are you using them to disassemble the pen? Do you hammer the punch while holding the tub attempting to push the component out? Maybe a picture of these punches in action would help. If someone could respond ASAP, I will try and get a set of these punches at the tool store in the AM.

I can just see the tool saving me lots of money since I mess up pens on a regular basis. This is usually due to the fact I dont pay enough attention to what I am doing. I have learned taking a few seconds to think about the next move can save you lots of head aches. Thanks for any info you can provide...

wudwrkr

I don't have any pictures, but the punches are used as you suspected. Choose the largest punch that will fit within the tube, hold the blank in your hand and rap the end of the punch with a hammer. I use a piece of router mat to hold the blank. I have found that it helps me hold the blank firmly and does not mar the pen. You also don't have to hit the punch too hard. I have found using quick "sharp" strikes with the flat part of the hammer works best for me. You also need to have something soft for the pen parts to land on once it breaks free from the pen. It is an awful feeling to see a center ring or nib break free and make it all the way to the ground. Not that I would know what that is like [:I].

I have the pen disassembly tool and a set of punches. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the pucnches when I bought the tool. It works great for the 7mm kits, but useless for everything else.

Good luck!

woodmarc

Originally posted by wudwrkr
<br />.....
Choose the largest punch that will fit within the tube, hold the blank in your hand and rap the end of the punch with a hammer.

This is exactly what I did to disassemble the pen pictured above. I also had a tech pen from PSI that needed to be taken apart. Worked great, until the wood came off of the tube! [:0]

Oh well, At least I tried!

As wudwrkr recommended, use something to aid the grip. I used some extra grip liner. I tried a wooden mallet to strike the punch with, but there wasn't enough force behind the blow. I then used my dead blow mallet, that had the "punch" needed to get the job done.

BTW, A big thanks to all of the great suggestions. [:)]

leehljp

Member Liaison
I also had a tech pen from PSI that needed to be taken apart. Worked great, until the wood came off of the tube! [:0]

Oh well, At least I tried!

I have done that too! Twice! [:eek:)] It has made me switch from CA to epoxy for all of my pens -other than slimlines that I make as give-a-ways to friends.

I occasionally make a pen and after putting it together, decide that I don't like the wood/ woodgrain and disassemble to put a new face to it. For me, this is a 1 in 20 ratio. So I do disassembly about once a month to once every other month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom