Disassembling a Vertex Safely

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have a PSI Vertex pen that I want to disassemble and refinish. I can get an appropriately-sized transfer punch up through the nib end. However, I am afraid of damaging the plastic clicker mechanism at the top end.

Does anyone know of any tricks to disassemble this pen safely without damaging the plastic clicker mechanism ?

Or is it possible, after the clicker mechanism has been damaged, to remove it and replace it with a new clicker mechanism ?

Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeinco

I have to take apart a Vertex that the ink cartridge blew up in, ink through out the mechanism, I'm just trying to save the blank. I don't think you can save the click mechanism when you punch it out, let me know if you have any success.

allisnut

You can grip the upper section in padded vice jaws and wiggle the body free. A little side to side motion will work it loose easily. You may have to use loctite or ca glue to put it back together. The tub will be a loose fit after removing the click section.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I was going to say there is no way to disassemble a Vertex without damaging the tranny. I've never tried allisnut's method, but I don't make Vertex's anymore because of my opinion.

I will purposefully try his/her method for my own satisfaction!

mikeinco

Adam, I might try that, but I'm kinda leaning towards just whacking the crap out of it and buy a new kit.:biggrin:

Top Bottom