Dip Pen/Finial support jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
THANK YOU - PHILIP DUFFY (philipff).

Making a set of dip pens for my Brother (a talented pen/ink artist) was a project that I have been wanting to do for some time. At this year's MAPG I overheard the very end of a conversation where Philip was explaining this jig. I asked him to explain it again, as I missed most of what he said. Philip very patiently repeated it. Simple, and worked like a charm.

In reality, it was not needed for this wood, but the next three will be out of Alumilite, and I expect some movement by the tailstock side, so it shall be useful.

Oh... simple bearings!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

And if you do not want to build one, the folks at Rubber Chucky sell a "finial live center" that fastens on a MT to 3/4 by 10 insert for the tailstock.

Have also put a bearing in the jaws of a drill chuck in the tail stock.

I like your approach because it is more elegant and personal and gets the job done well.

Charlie_W

Very good there Mark...and Phil!
Mark, remember to turn your speed down when you turn off your lathe. You don't want to start up with the rpm being too fast. Depending on how snug your finial is in the bearing, you could twist your pen into two parts.

You can blue tape the finial so the bearing does not leave a mark.

Now, Let's see those pens!

chartle

For thin a pen would a mandrel saver work?

But now that I typed that I could see some sort jam chuck that would have a 1/4" tenon on one end and multiple sizes of cone shaped holes on the other end.

Charlie_W

For thin a pen would a mandrel saver work?

But now that I typed that I could see some sort jam chuck that would have a 1/4" tenon on one end and multiple sizes of cone shaped holes on the other end.

Yes to the mandrel saver...been there, done that!

Top Bottom