Difference? Superglue or CA glue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jay_bobo

Hi I was wondering if CA glue and superglue was the same? Cause superglue is a lot cheaper and If it was the same i might as well buy the cheaper stuff. Thanks for any help! I'm new at penturning so anything is helpful!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

Same stuff. CA is just short for "Cyanoacrylate". I believe that "Super Glue" is just a trade marked name for CA. There are different opinions as to which brand is best but I have good luck with most brands so my advise would be to get it where it is the cheapest. I usually get mine from vendors here on the IAP. Haven't check for a while but I think Exotic Blanks has the best price.

its_virgil

For gluing tubes or for finishing? For gluing tubes there should be no difference but two part epoxy, in my opinion, is a better choice for tubes. For finishing i would stay with one of the major brands. I am partial to Hot Stuff which, if I recall correctly, is the original CA glue packaged for hobbyists. I've been using it since the days of model making. But, I have had excellent results from all of the major brands of CA. Stick Fast is my least favorite. Just my opinions and I'm sure others will disagree....which is fine.
Do a good turn daily!'
Don

Hi I was wondering if CA glue and superglue was the same? Cause superglue is a lot cheaper and If it was the same i might as well buy the cheaper stuff. Thanks for any help! I'm new at penturning so anything is helpful!

edstreet

There are some big differences :)

normal-super-crazy-glue.jpg

RMayoIII

If you read the ingredients on super glue, at least the few I've read, you'll find that it is mostly CA (95-97%) mixed with other stuff. I've tried using super glue in a pinch for finishing and found that it doesn't dry as fast or as hard and when trying to buff it I couldn't get it to as high of a gloss as CA. It works but not really. Thats my experience of the difference between the two.

Top Bottom