Difference of Sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I have very large hands. My hand size is a XL almost 5 inches across. So a cigar or a Churchill pen fits me. My wife and many women do not have the size hand I do. My wife is small boned and has tiny hands. I am trying to find a pen what will be elegant pen for her. She likes the Sierra pen yet is slightly larger than what feels good to her. A Olympia pen is too big and heavy. (I believe an Olympia pen and a Euro pen are the same) Please correct me if I'm wrong! I have just thinking about making an over sized 7MM pen. I don't like the CB of an 7MM kit. I realize I don't have to make a pen with a CB either. Are there any pen kits out there?

I am searching for a upper priced kit for a small-handed person. Is there such an beast? I would prefer a roller-ball or fountain pen.

Please ladies chime in!

Bill Daniels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi, how about the executive from PSI,that is a single barrel pen,light slender but can be tricky to make cause it is close to the brass tube,but very nice. carl

Buzz

Vote number 3 for the Streamline. Only thing is the centreband which seems intended to be proud of the wood using its standard bushes. I prefer the centreband to be level with the timber and not proud of it, and modify accordingly.

mrcook4570

The Olympia and Euro are not the same. The upper tube for the Olympia is larger in diameter, which means the finished Olympia is lighter and has a lower center of gravity than the Euro.

randyrls

Originally posted by Buzz

Vote number 3 for the Streamline. Only thing is the centreband which seems intended to be proud of the wood using its standard bushes. I prefer the centreband to be level with the timber and not proud of it, and modify accordingly.

Chris; Slightly off thread; I never trust bushings. I sand or file bushings until I know they are .005" smaller than the finished blank size. I just use the bushings as clamps and don't hit the bushings with my skew. I use calipers to measure sizes and size the calipers to the fittings.

fafow

How about you buy the 7mm slimline kit (cheaper than the streamline) and make your own centerband? Then you can make it whatever thickness you want. I made my first centerband last week and it was really pretty darn easy. If weight is an issue, keep in mind that there are heavy woods and light woods. (okay, so I'm stating the really obvious) With the slimline it really doesn't matter, but when you start leaving more wood on the tubes it does become an issue.

winpooh498

I prefer my Jr. Statesman or Sierra. But I also have a "mini" Euro from Wood Craft that I love. I use a slim line nib instead of the stock nib. CSUSA sells a mini but it uses a step drill, the WC one is a 7 mm. The down side is that it only comes in one finish. [}:)]
Just my opinion from a woman with smaller hands. ;)

gerryr

The Berea Olympia is heavy???????? I sell these almost by the gross to women. In terms of weight they are only a little heavier than a standard slimline and probably about the same weight as Streamline. The upper tube is 8mm and the lower tube is 7mm.

There are basically 3 different Euros. Berea makes a 7mm Euro that uses a Cross refill as well as a heavier 8mm Euro that uses a Parker refill. CSUSA only has a 7mm Euro. PSI also has both a 7mm and 8mm Euro.

BTW, Woodcraft's "Toni" is actually the Berea Streamline, except you don't get the good plating from Woodcraft.

As far as rollerballs or fountain pens are concerned the Baron, Jr. Gent, Jr. Statesman, Jr. Retro, Flattop Americans and Americanas all have the same size grip section. Just don't get one with metal to metal threads because it will unthread itself in her purse and she won't be happy with ink everywhere.

Top Bottom