Did I winned?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

248370_168358496557557_100001502242963_402418_1723869_n.jpg

This one started life as 2 different pens, which both suffered a lathe failure from which I could not recover. Just had the idea a few minutes ago to see if they'd play nice together. I kinda like it, seems to work. Feedback is cool, as I'm of course kind of invested in it and a little biased.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

It could work. Does need some more sanding and finished for a good shine.

Yeah, I do agree. I had to re-do the finish on the wood segments as it disagreed with how rough I handled it with the micromesh the first time. Since I quit smoking I've been having an unexpected number of beginner problems. I dialed back the aggressiveness and just got it to within my personal okay zone.

jttheclockman

I am sorry but it looks like you just put some pieces you had laying around together and it has no interest. Mixing the wood and acrylic is not interesting. I have seen your work and you can do better. It is just an opinion and take it for what it is worth. 2¢:)

Drstrangefart

I am sorry but it looks like you just put some pieces you had laying around together and it has no interest. Mixing the wood and acrylic is not interesting. I have seen your work and you can do better. It is just an opinion and take it for what it is worth. 2¢:)

Actually, that's the most basic way to explain what happened here. No offense taken. I wasn't sure it would work out going into it, but I didn't have enough supplies to finish either half properly and though there might be half a chance it could work out okay.

MorganGrafixx

Bro, my criticism is going to be 2-fold. Being a US Marine, I am incapable of blowing smoke or beating around bushes. If you would rather not read a little "tough love" hit the back button now.
First, that pen should be great for someone who is color blind! Kinda reminds me of my failed attempt at a dye job on the curly maple. Remember the one where it looked like the Easter Bunny knocked me out and took a rainbow crap all over my nicely prepared blank? Yeah. My advice on your pen; Disassemble it, turn it back down to the brass and start over. Trust me...that pen, as it is now, makes baby Jesus cry. I'm fairly certain an angel lost it's wings on account of it. I'm just saying.
Now that I've gotten that part out of the way, I would like to give you a HUGE thumbs up on your creativity and willingness to experiment with new stuff. I see far to many folks who turn pens that look like every single other pen posted. You are neither afraid to create something out of the ordinary nor are you afraid to show it off, good or bad. THAT earns LOTS of respect from me.
What's more, the new techniques and cool new ideas....they come from people just like you, who are willing to push the boundaries just to see what something might look like. Popular opinion be damned! You keep doing what you are doing and I'm 100% certain, without a doubt, that you will stumble on the next big thing in turning. I'll bet you my next 4 paychecks that someone accidentally spilled some super glue on some wood once and tried to get it off by wiping it fast with a rag or some fine grit sandpaper, and discovered the CA finish! Same thing with what I see in your work.
So, take it for what its worth, that pen you posted is just God-awful, but if I've learned anything in this life, its that the only bad mistake is the one you don't learn something from! Keep it up man!

Drstrangefart

Bro, my criticism is going to be 2-fold. Being a US Marine, I am incapable of blowing smoke or beating around bushes. If you would rather not read a little "tough love" hit the back button now.
First, that pen should be great for someone who is color blind! Kinda reminds me of my failed attempt at a dye job on the curly maple. Remember the one where it looked like the Easter Bunny knocked me out and took a rainbow crap all over my nicely prepared blank? Yeah. My advice on your pen; Disassemble it, turn it back down to the brass and start over. Trust me...that pen, as it is now, makes baby Jesus cry. I'm fairly certain an angel lost it's wings on account of it. I'm just saying.
Now that I've gotten that part out of the way, I would like to give you a HUGE thumbs up on your creativity and willingness to experiment with new stuff. I see far to many folks who turn pens that look like every single other pen posted. You are neither afraid to create something out of the ordinary nor are you afraid to show it off, good or bad. THAT earns LOTS of respect from me.
What's more, the new techniques and cool new ideas....they come from people just like you, who are willing to push the boundaries just to see what something might look like. Popular opinion be damned! You keep doing what you are doing and I'm 100% certain, without a doubt, that you will stumble on the next big thing in turning. I'll bet you my next 4 paychecks that someone accidentally spilled some super glue on some wood once and tried to get it off by wiping it fast with a rag or some fine grit sandpaper, and discovered the CA finish! Same thing with what I see in your work.
So, take it for what its worth, that pen you posted is just God-awful, but if I've learned anything in this life, its that the only bad mistake is the one you don't learn something from! Keep it up man!

Totally appreciate the brutal half of the honesty. Last thing I need is my ego being jerked off. I'm the type of person where when the idea like this hits, I HAVE to see what happens or it'll kill part of my soul. And believe it or not, my buddy Lumpy is probably gonna fall a$$ over teakettle for this one. If he hates it, I will probably either turn it back to tubes, or save the two halves until I get the appropriate materials to finish the job on both pens.

MorganGrafixx

Here is a couple pics of what I'm talking about when I see some of the ideas you are hitting around. First pic is your "dice pen", second pic is what I immediately thought of the first time I saw it...

Now, I know what everyone is thinking....oh, cast something in clear PR...blah, blah, blah....but that's been done before Scott, that's nothing new.
Nope! Not where I was going with it. Imagine the dice "pen"....but not as a pen. How about a pen container. Like the round plastic pen tubes, only BIGGER. How about the dice glued up 4 next to each other then stacked 15 high? Bore a hole through the middle just like you would a pen blank, but make the hole a 1" forstner bit! Turn that bad boy round, lop off the top 2" or so, grab a tap/die set and get to threading a cap! BAM! You now have a hand made "dice pen HOLDER"!
See where I'm going with this. I would have never though of this had I not first seen your dice pen.:cool:

Attachments

• 76730_125121717547902_100001502242963_158380_4874950_n.jpg
    76730_125121717547902_100001502242963_158380_4874950_n.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 83
  • skull.jpg
    skull.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 93

Drstrangefart

Here is a couple pics of what I'm talking about when I see some of the ideas you are hitting around. First pic is your "dice pen", second pic is what I immediately thought of the first time I saw it...

Now, I know what everyone is thinking....oh, cast something in clear PR...blah, blah, blah....but that's been done before Scott, that's nothing new.
Nope! Not where I was going with it. Imagine the dice "pen"....but not as a pen. How about a pen container. Like the round plastic pen tubes, only BIGGER. How about the dice glued up 4 next to each other then stacked 15 high? Bore a hole through the middle just like you would a pen blank, but make the hole a 1" forstner bit! Turn that bad boy round, lop off the top 2" or so, grab a tap/die set and get to threading a cap! BAM! You now have a hand made "dice pen HOLDER"!
See where I'm going with this. I would have never though of this had I not first seen your dice pen.:cool:

Actually, I can see where that's headed, and when those dice meet thick CA, it bonds pretty much instantly. You'll run into issues with excess bleeding out between dice, but I assume there's a way to fix that. Other than that, a heavily waxed form should do the trick. Maybe combine it with one of those magnets on a flexible neck to make it a firm desk piece.

patmurris

Allan, this is one of the ugliest pen i've ever seen! :eek:

It takes guts to try that and go public with it and i'll definitely give you credits and respect for that. Keep trying out whatever you feel like doing, that's how 'new' stuff comes up. No offense intended. :wink:

Drstrangefart

Allan, this is one of the ugliest pen i've ever seen! :eek:

It takes guts to try that and go public with it and i'll definitely give you credits and respect for that. Keep trying out whatever you feel like doing, that's how 'new' stuff comes up. No offense intended. :wink:

No offense taken. I'm already waist deep in another one. Turned out much better!

Top Bottom