Diamondback baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

Seamus and I went to Waurkia, OK a few weeks back to the rattlesnake roundup. Here is a baron from one of the skins. Enjoy and comments welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• Photo 8.jpg
    Photo 8.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 504
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GeneL74

That is a real beauty! I've really been wanting to try a rattlesnake, or copperhead blank, but they are so darn expensive... I'll probably break down and get one sometime.

its_virgil

Thanks Bruce. I suppose I should post more pen pictures. Do we tire of seeing pictures of snake skin pens? I thought this one was especially nice.I appreciate the comments.

I'm working on another that will also be nice...a full size gent. It it turns out the way I expect I'll post it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Haven't lost your touch. Nice to see your pens again.

seamus7227

That is a real beauty! I've really been wanting to try a rattlesnake, or copperhead blank, but they are so darn expensive... I'll probably break down and get one sometime.

What do you deem expensive? Let's factor in that the person selling them is also skinning, scraping, tanning and casting them. Are they expensive then? Just curious. I think most pricing I see is fair! But that is just MHO, for what it's worth.

GeneL74

What do you deem expensive? Let's factor in that the person selling them is also skinning, scraping, tanning and casting them. Are they expensive then? Just curious. I think most pricing I see is fair! But that is just MHO, for what it's worth.

I certainly did not mean to suggest, nor did I ever say, that the snake skin blanks were overpriced, or not worth the price sellers ask for them. I simply meant to me, a $25+ blank was a little pricey... No disrespect meant to you, or anyone else!

B Wo

That is a cool pen. The diamond back skin is a really bold green. I like it. It looks menacing.

I just cast my first Navigator blanks with prairie rattlesnake skins. I'm excited to see how my pen turns out.

BSea

Do we tire of seeing pictures of snake skin pens? I thought this one was especially nice.
No more than we get tired of seeing 2 toned amboyna, or Brooks blanks of some guy that cuts up coins to make pens.:biggrin:

The only person I've ever talked to that didn't want to see a snake blank pen was my sister. She said she didn't even want to touch one. And she lives out in the country around Brownwood TX. You'd think she'd be used to a few snakes by now.

its_virgil

Well, how did the prairie rattlesnake navigator turn out? Looking forward to seeing the pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

That is a cool pen. The diamond back skin is a really bold green. I like it. It looks menacing.

I just cast my first Navigator blanks with prairie rattlesnake skins. I'm excited to see how my pen turns out.

its_virgil

Thanks Bob. My sister lives in Brownwood also...actually they live on Lake Brownwood.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Do we tire of seeing pictures of snake skin pens? I thought this one was especially nice.
No more than we get tired of seeing 2 toned amboyna, or Brooks blanks of some guy that cuts up coins to make pens.:biggrin:

The only person I've ever talked to that didn't want to see a snake blank pen was my sister. She said she didn't even want to touch one. And she lives out in the country around Brownwood TX. You'd think she'd be used to a few snakes by now.

seamus7227

I certainly did not mean to suggest, nor did I ever say, that the snake skin blanks were overpriced, or not worth the price sellers ask for them. I simply meant to me, a $25+ blank was a little pricey... No disrespect meant to you, or anyone else!

No offense taken.

Hello I wouldn't even want to be close to those snakes. The only way I will ever make one of these pens is to purchase the blank. From what I have read about making them it is not an easy process. I think $25 is cheap. I have not priced a pen with one of these blanks but I bet they are way more than that. The guy that created the blank should get something for the effort that is put into it. This pen is awesome but still gives me the shakes... You know snakes and all.

seamus7227

Yea that guy who cuts quarters. I wish he would try pennys or nickles or something else. Maybe silver dollars. :)

alright Johnny! Lets see, I have cut to date: Lincoln pennies, Liberty Head nickel, Buffalo nickels(new and old), a Roosevelt dime, a Barber dime, 48 out of 50 State Quarters, Barber Quarter, Gold $1 (2types), a variety of foreign coins and other silver dollars.

:biggrin: sheesh, your killing me:biggrin:.......did i forget a coin??

didnt mean to hijack your thread Don!:rolleyes:

its_virgil

That guy was me. And yes, it is a lot of work to both prep the skins and make the blanks. And thanks for the nice compliment on the pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hello I wouldn't even want to be close to those snakes. The only way I will ever make one of these pens is to purchase the blank. From what I have read about making them it is not an easy process. I think $25 is cheap. I have not priced a pen with one of these blanks but I bet they are way more than that. The guy that created the blank should get something for the effort that is put into it. This pen is awesome but still gives me the shakes... You know snakes and all.

And your point is??? come on, there are 24 hours in a day!!!! Your just being lazy now Seamus and a sexiest...I didnt see the Susan B Anthony on your list, whats up with that????

Yea that guy who cuts quarters. I wish he would try pennys or nickles or something else. Maybe silver dollars. :)

alright Johnny! Lets see, I have cut to date: Lincoln pennies, Liberty Head nickel, Buffalo nickels(new and old), a Roosevelt dime, a Barber dime, 48 out of 50 State Quarters, Barber Quarter, Gold $1 (2types), a variety of foreign coins and other silver dollars.

BSea

I'm pretty sure you cut a Bi-Centennial quarter or two.:wink:

GeneL74

Guys,

Once again, just for the record, I think these blanks are absolutely incredible! The finished product is beautiful, and I absolutely did not mean that the blanks are overpriced, or not worth what the guys doing all the work are asking!!!

Perhaps I didn't chose my words wisely, but I simply meant that I would hate to give $25+ for one, and do something wrong, and have it blow up on the lathe on me... I certainly did not mean to imply they are overpriced!

Its all good, but Gene, you dont get your pen makers card until you have blown up $30-50 worth of material. LOL Its a part of pen making and with me, the more expensive it is the slower I go, and there is a direct connection between going slow and better quailty!!! Knock on wood...the only things I blow up anymore are blanks that I say...oh this will be simple and fast..then BAM.....But as far as the snake blanks go..think of it this way...at some point somebody risked his/her life to actually get that material...Life vs 30-50 bucks...doesnt really seem fair.

Guys,

Once again, just for the record, I think these blanks are absolutely incredible! The finished product is beautiful, and I absolutely did not mean that the blanks are overpriced, or not worth what the guys doing all the work are asking!!!

Perhaps I didn't chose my words wisely, but I simply meant that I would hate to give $25+ for one, and do something wrong, and have it blow up on the lathe on me... I certainly did not mean to imply they are overpriced!

jttheclockman

Only 48 out of 50 states. Lazy man. Lets get those 2 other states done. Do they have coins??? :) Cutting up a Barber dime. Now that is impressive.

Did you ever cast one of your quaters on one of Don's snakes??? That would be cool. Match the coin with the snake. OK get busy now. My work is done here. :)

edicehouse

Only 48 out of 50 states. Lazy man. Lets get those 2 other states done. Do they have coins??? :) Cutting up a Barber dime. Now that is impressive.

Did you ever cast one of your quaters on one of Don's snakes??? That would be cool. Match the coin with the snake. OK get busy now. My work is done here. :)

Wait you are getting ahead of yourself, is it "P" or "D" mint?????

seamus7227

I have cast a Texas quarter over Diamondback rattlesnake,never done any of Don's skins(prairie rattlers) and I decided I only needed to cut a quarter from one mint(since the design is the same) :)

Attachments

• 2012-08-19 21.41.56-1.jpg
    2012-08-19 21.41.56-1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 94
Top Bottom