Diamond Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pmichris

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmichris

I thought I would try something different today. I don't like the way the background turned out on the picture[xx(]

2005220232932_diamond%20birdseye.jpg

. Let me know what you think, it is made from birdseye maple and cocobolo.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

I like what you did there Chris!! I like the diamond inlays---how'd you do them?? Did you get a little discoloration into the lighter wood---looks a little darker around the diamonds in the photo?? I'm thinking cocobolo might be a hard one to keep from staining the other wood when you sand or finish it.

tipusnr

Good look for the pen. To limit bleeding you might try cleaning with alcohol after sanding then sealing the cocobolo with a q-tip and thin CA.

pmichris

Thanks for the comments. I used my hollow chisel mortiser and put a 1/4 mortise in the blank. I then glued the cocobolo in and drilled the blank as normal. I did use some super glue on the cocobolo and yet I got the bleeding on the corners. I cleaned it with linseed oil but next time I will try the alcohol.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by pmichris
<br />Thanks for the comments. I used my hollow chisel mortiser and put a 1/4 mortise in the blank. I then glued the cocobolo in and drilled the blank as normal. I did use some super glue on the cocobolo and yet I got the bleeding on the corners. I cleaned it with linseed oil but next time I will try the alcohol.

Great idea there. And simple, often the best ideas are simple. Now I have an excuse to go out and buy more tools. A 1/4" mortiser and a 3/8" mortiser that I'll use for my duck calls.
I love plagarism, it makes me look smart. [;)]
Good work and thanks for the tips.

woodscavenger

I was thinking about doing the same. I think it is a go. I don't like my cheap mortiser that much so I did the regular round dowels on my first few. They have been real eye catchers but I think your diamond version is even better. Strong work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom