Diamond Cast Alumilite Pen Blank 6 pack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
SOLD!

What's Diamond Cast? Well... I needed to come up with a name to set my blanks apart and since I put real diamond in them, I figured it was catchy and would work. I've been filling some orders for folks and had some extras laying around and figured I'd see if I could get any other pen makers hooked on diamond dust. [emoji3] These are pressure cast and I apologize in advance for the poor photo quality of my phone. Attached a couple images of pens I've turned from these as reference so you know what they look like finished. I've got a rather unique pour method that results in an almost burl like figuring to it.

Picked out 6 of the color combos I happen to like best. These are cast in the awesome molds made by Tom Barron here on IAP so they're 5.25 by roughly 7/8 though that varies a touch.

I have 2 of these available. $55 shipped USPS Priority for a 6 pack.

Lot 1:
attachment.php

Lot 2:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20171228_171602.jpg
    IMG_20171228_171602.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 973
  • IMG_20171228_171608.jpg
    IMG_20171228_171608.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 851
  • New-RedBlackGrayBoltPen-4.jpg
    New-RedBlackGrayBoltPen-4.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 358
  • BlueGreenClicker-4.jpg
    BlueGreenClicker-4.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 380
  • MahoganyZen-4.jpg
    MahoganyZen-4.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

I would be interested in buying a set from you, but I would need to have them shipped to Canada. If you make more of them, would you be willing to ship them to Canada?
Len

They look nice but I have to ask, how do lathe tools stand up to them? I would think the diamonds would wear the edges quickly?

I've turned about 40 of them so far with no abnormal wear at all. Several other turners have turned about the same number with no problems. It's VERY fine grit and it's not like you're running your tools against a diamond file or anything like that. It's soft alumilite with diamond dust that just moves out of the way of your blade. I have to sharpen my tools more with stabilized wood than with these.

Terredax

Banned
I'm guessing you are using the product using the diamond dust name, which is truly, ground glass. There are a couple of brand names for the product.

If it isn't the ground glass, it would probably be the synthetic diamond.

Real diamond dust or powder, is used for lapidary purposes and doesn't exhibit much shine or shimmer. Since the diamond is much harder than any turning tools, it would destroy the cutting edge almost instantly and more than likely chip out easily.

We've used both the glass and the synthetics, although we never turned the end cast, but they do give a nice shimmery effect.

In any case, I hope you continued success with your venture.

I'm guessing you are using the product using the diamond dust name, which is truly, ground glass. There are a couple of brand names for the product.

Setting aside the fact that this is NOT the forum for this. You are incorrect. I've been around gems my entire life and I can absolutely 100% guarantee these have real diamond in it. It's not a lot of diamond, and they aren't big chunks, but you can tell a difference in how light hits it.

It will NOT ruin tools. I turned a pile of this without rotating or sharpening my carbide cutter just to test this.

While I appreciate your efforts to educate me, they are unwarranted and misguided. They are exactly what they said they are and unlike a lot of casting guys out there my primary purpose in making these to begin with was for my own pens so I'm VERY familiar with how they turn.

Terredax

Banned
Setting aside the fact that this is NOT the forum for this. You are incorrect. I've been around gems my entire life and I can absolutely 100% guarantee these have real diamond in it. It's not a lot of diamond, and they aren't big chunks, but you can tell a difference in how light hits it.

It will NOT ruin tools. I turned a pile of this without rotating or sharpening my carbide cutter just to test this.

While I appreciate your efforts to educate me, they are unwarranted and misguided. They are exactly what they said they are and unlike a lot of casting guys out there my primary purpose in making these to begin with was for my own pens so I'm VERY familiar with how they turn.

I apologize, I didn't intend to offend.

Since you stated that you can "absolutely 100% guarantee" these are real diamonds, are you willing to attach a certificate of authenticity with them?
I would like to purchase one and give it to a friend of mine that has a GG Degree and works for an independent testing lab. Then I can verify how a carbide cutter withstands turning it.

Again, no offense intended, I'm just curious as to the claim.

You've skirted with calling me a liar twice now. Saying "I mean no offense' hardly excuses the behavior of stomping in my ad and accusing me of misleading people.

You're welcome to buy a blank just like anyone else does. What you do with it is up to you. What I can tell you is that a lab would likely be a waste of your money because once suspended in the alumilite, the chances of you getting a clean sample for refractive index or specific gravity testing are basically 0. I've been thinking that I should provide a COA though once I'm in production mode, primarily so pen makers can use it to market their finished pens to customers.

So, before you question my integrity again I encourage you to take this to PM. This is a classified ad, not a casting discussion thread. If you search you'll find I've posted about these before.

Top Bottom