Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Guys, I had to tear myself away from the auction for a while:D[xx(]
It's not very often that I do a wooden pen, but I'm quite pleased with this one. I laminated the black plastic and ally to follow the grain pattern. Hope you like it too:D

2007624135458_newpen3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by tseger
<br />That is cool! Could I see a pic of the other side of the pen(directly behind the clip) if possible. Thanks, Tim

There is always someone who wants to see the 'bad' side[:D]
Spot the error?

2007624151726_back.jpg
<br />

OKLAHOMAN

Steven......er.....Mr. Skiprat I always enjoy your work and now I see why your bidding on wood, you better watch out or you'll become a wood-a-holic.

tseger

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />
Originally posted by tseger
<br />That is cool! Could I see a pic of the other side of the pen(directly behind the clip) if possible. Thanks, Tim

There is always someone who wants to see the 'bad' side[:D]
Spot the error?

2007624151726_back.jpg
<br />
LOL, I don't think this pen has a bad side. Looks great, thanks for the additional pic. (BTW, I don't see the error either) Tim

I'm not a big fan of segmented pens because they can look pretty 'busy' sometimes, but that is just an outstanding pen. Very striking and elegant!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I hope you win the auction just to see the creative pens you can make. Yet another winner here. I thnk I see the error - the wood has some imperfections that you didn't match with the lamination.

rhahnfl

Do I understand this is laminated with wood, plastic and aluminum? How the heck did you get them to bond so well? I've seen thin aluminum inserted in a pen but nothing as thick as that appears to be. I also fail to see any "error" with it. The wife wants one... it'll have to wait awhile. My skill level is no where up to producing that!!! [8D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for nice comments. The error was that on the front of the pen, there is nice space between the cb and the end of the laminated piece but on the back I somehow overlapped the laminated piece with the top band, with no gap.[:I]

Ralph, If there is one thing I have learnt here it is that most of the pens that look tricky or difficult to make are actually quite simple. I cut my full blank freehand on the bandsaw to follow the grain. I then filed the bandsaw cuts as flat as I could. The black is from the base of throw away flower pots. The ally is just some scrap.
The ally was anodized and I have had previous failures with glue joints. This time, I sanded the anodizing off first and tested a trial joint. I could not break it. This could be a coincidence as I used new CA. I have read here that it can go off after a while.
Another trick is the use of black. I find that this is the best contrasting colour and as such, hides lots of small imperfections.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom