Desk Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

This is my first desk set. Pen holder and business card holder.
Made from a shiping pallet. Have no idea what Kind of wood it is, but all I know is that its pertty.
Comments welcome.
The pen:

20062342017_1.jpg

No card:

20062342046_2.jpg

Card:

2006234218_3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Nice job on the set. Simple and balanced. Sure wish they'd deliver something other than white oak pallets here! You have a good eye for reclaiming wood.

Now that I'm more awake... No change to my original comments - it's a great piece. It just looks like you could have cleaned up more before finishing. It looks like glue got in the grain around your card posts. Highly figured wood is real tough to get glue out of so I often put painter's tape around the hole before my glue-up to avoid that as much as possible.

Of course - that could actually just be a more dense patch of grain I'm looking at!!

Spike, this is just a personal preference, I would have routed a rounded edge on the base. Also make sure you put the little felt dots on the underside of it so it won't scratch the desk. The base is a beautiful piece of wood and the set overall looks very nice.[8D]

Spike

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Nice job on the set. Simple and balanced. Sure wish they'd deliver something other than white oak pallets here! You have a good eye for reclaiming wood.

Now that I'm more awake... No change to my original comments - it's a great piece. It just looks like you could have cleaned up more before finishing. It looks like glue got in the grain around your card posts. Highly figured wood is real tough to get glue out of so I often put painter's tape around the hole before my glue-up to avoid that as much as possible.

Of course - that could actually just be a more dense patch of grain I'm looking at!!
youre right it is glue. I rushed it a little. the problem was the dowels didnt fit right in the hole. drilled a 3/8 and bought some 3/8 dowel rod at Home depo and it was 1 size too small so i added a little more glue to make up for the space but it went every were. I will use tape next time and a small brush.
This patte really stuck out since it was RED and the main cross beams were 3x4'S.

Spike

Bill: It is pretty soft. turns real easy.
Bev: i acualy but little round pieces of rubber. helps to keep it in place. I agree with the rounded edge. i sholud have.( got to get my router table going again.)

Thanks of all of the positive support. wasnt quite shure about the card holder design I realy like it, and I am glad you guys do too thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom