Designing a pen online.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

whegge

pennstateind.com has one too. They look almost the same in capabilities but the Penn State one does not show price until the last step.

JimB

Has anybody used this? It's somewhat usefull IMHO.

http://www.woodcraft.com/projectconfigurator/configurator.aspx

I don't really like that it shows the total cost of the materials.

What's wrong with showing the price? They sell the materials not completed pens so naturally they are telling their customers (you) what the prices are. Your customers are not going to the Woodcraft site to find out what the materials cost and even if they did, so what? Your customers are paying for your craftsmanship.

BSea

What's wrong with showing the price? They sell the materials not completed pens so naturally they are telling their customers (you) what the prices are. Your customers are not going to the Woodcraft site to find out what the materials cost and even if they did, so what? Your customers are paying for your craftsmanship.

As far as showing me, I agree. As far as showing prospects, I don't agree. Ok, I understand where you are coming from, but I wouldn't tell prospective customers to go to the site to design a pen, and see that the cocobolo burl pen I'm selling for $110 shows $12.19. Granted it's not cocobolo burl on the site, but they don't know that. I like the idea, but not attached to a pen parts retailing site with prices showing. Just my 2¢.

76winger

I can see both points of view and it doesn't matter to me personally because I see the value of the crafsmanship artistic appeal I apply as being the differentiator. However I'd be just as happy if it weren't showed, because I don't pay attention to the cost until I'm placing the order. If I'm quoting someone a price, I usually base my materials cost on what is shown in the catalogs regular price to me.

Silver

Regardless of what we make out of our kits and bits it doesn't make any difference as most of anything you need to buy now can be found using google.

Anyone can buy artists material on line very cheaply, but can you buy the painting cheaply?

I agree that you wouldn't be wise to advertise pen kits on your own web site as that's a little close or have links on your site to web sites that sell kits, that would surely b suicide...

That's my way of looking at it...

Eamonn

JimB

As far as showing me, I agree. As far as showing prospects, I don't agree. Ok, I understand where you are coming from, but I wouldn't tell prospective customers to go to the site to design a pen, and see that the cocobolo burl pen I'm selling for $110 shows $12.19. Granted it's not cocobolo burl on the site, but they don't know that. I like the idea, but not attached to a pen parts retailing site with prices showing. Just my 2¢.

Hey Bob - I didn't realize from your first post you were concerend about it because you wanted your customers to be able to use the site. That would be a little different. However, even if the prices weren't listed they could very easily get the prices since they are already on Woodcraft.

Personally I wouldn't send customers to the site to design a pen, not even with me sitting next to them and showing it to them. I don't think the pictures do justice to what the final pen will look like. I should point out I don't do a lot of customer orders. When I have gotten questions about what woods look good with what pens i have shown them a several different pens and woods and do a little game of mix and match. I use completed pens as well as blanks and components laid out.

Sorry if my first post sounded like I was arguing with you. I didn't mean it that way.

BSea

Sorry if my first post sounded like I was arguing with you. I didn't mean it that way.
Don't give it a 2nd though. It didn't sound to me like arguing, but then I'm married:rolleyes:.

The more I think about it, it would be a really useful tool. After all, Woodcraft is using it to sell kits & blanks. I'd love something similar (without the pricing) to show customers. But you are right, pictures don't do justice to pens (especially my pictures). And when you get right down to it, I pretty much do the same thing you do when I get ready to finish a pen. I get out all the different finishes I have for that pen & see what looks best.

ohiococonut

PSI does sell sales brochures but it's not a complete listing of all of their products, just the most popular ones. It does not have any pricing either. I was trying to put together a brochure of my own but didn't want to get into copy write infringement with the pictures so I called them and that's when the told me about their brochure. You can get one free as a sample and then buy them in 20 packs. They are pretty nice but it's limited to their products. If everyone else did this, orders would certainly go up.

Top Bottom