Designer pen help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

major_bob

I'm a novice that has just turned a couple of PSI "Designer" pens. Pens turned out beautifully, but having a problem with the twist mechanism on both. The refill tip sticks out too far and won't retract. I pressed the lower barrel mechanism in as directed, with 13/16 out. Never had this problem when I began with the Slimline pens.

What is the cause of my problem ? Pressed in too far, not far enough? Defective mechanism (both of them)? Can the pens be salvaged? Again the wood is beautiful and I wanted to give them as gifts.

bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

How far does the writing nib stick out of the nib end of the pen? is it possible you may have trimmed too much off of the barrel? are you using the Euro Designer tubes

broitblat

It's likely the transmission is pressed in too far or, as Ken suggested, the lower barrel is too short. Rather than rely on messurements, I usually push it in a bit at a time and check how far the point extends.

You can fix it if you disassemble the pen. You'll have to knock the nib out through the twist mechanism, then you can go through the nib end to tap the mechanism out a bit.

Good luck.

-Barry

major_bob

Don't think the tubes are to short. Used the ones which came with the PSI kit and squaring/trimming was minimal
Guess it is time to invest in one of the disassemble sets. Would really like to salvage the pens.

PTownSubbie

Bob,

If I remember correctly, the measurement is not intuitive and is backwards from what you think. Make sure you are applying the measurement to the correct end of the transmission.

Also, I mark the transmission and then always insert it a little short of that mark and give it a test. I have never gotten it perfect the first time and I have to sneak up on the correct fit to prevent over-insertion.

major_bob

Butch, might have made that mistake once but don't think I would have done it twice :eek:

BTW, when I say the pen dip does not retract --- I don't mean partially. It doesn't retract at all.

bob

tim self

Definately disassemble. If the tip will not retract at all, it is probably excessive glue in the tube. That's my experience. And if youare able to remove the trans out, check it out for usability. I plug my tubes before glueing. Or use a small round file to make sure you're clean.

major_bob

Did you use the longer tube for the bottom/nib end ? if you use the shorter tube the refill will stick out just like you describe .

Butch,
My apologies! This is exactly what I did --- twice ! Didn't realize until I disassembled. Was able to salvage the pens by not pressing the mechanism in as far to compensate for the short tube.

Learned my lesson :redface:

bob

Top Bottom