Design Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnelson

Friends,

I have a project in mind, but not sure how to start.

I would like to have a light-colored wood (holly, cottonwood, or alt ivory) pen that has a pink ivory section shaped like a breast cancer ribbon in it after it is turned. I have not started down the road of segmented pens since I do not have a bandsaw at this point.

I would like some input on the design of how to do this since I have seen many good inlays/segmented pictures on this site. I am not an artist, although I have been told that on a hot day I can draw flies ;)

Thanks for any input,
Brad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

You could cut it out freehand and glue it in OR for a professional look, contact one of the many folks on the forum with lazers and have them lazer etch it for you.

I visited our local lazer expert this weekend and meant to discuss the vary thing with him but we got caught caught up with different things and forgot to mention it.

When I get an answer from him if he can do it or not, I'll pass the info along.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
yah, a laser is how I would do that one. Send a few white pre-turned blanks and one pink pre-turned blank and a jpg of what you want to one of the engravers from this site and they can return you several sets of exactly-matched parts to make your pens.

GK

ashaw

I just talked to one of my dealers about this very same subject. The only way he can sell the pen is if it is under $20.00 retail. He has a retro 51 that comes out every year an theirs is 19.95 with the ribbon on the clip. We were going to take on this project with 50% of the profit going to Breast Cancer Foundation. But now from the results of my dealers we probably not do it.

The engraving I had envisioned was going to cost around $15.00 - 20.00 alone.
The decision on this still has not been made.

If you are going to do it you need permission from "Susan G. Komen foundation" to use the likeness if you are going to sell the pen.

Milpaul

If you decide not to go with a inlay, Hut has some nice domed logos. The breast cancer ribbon is one of them. PM me if you would like to see a picture, I am pretty sure I still have one.

http://www.hutproducts.com/departments.asp?dept=141

tntwoodcrafts

I had a picture handy so thought I would post it. I made this pen/pencil set for a local awareness fundraiser. The clips and logos were from Hut

247130461.jpg

TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom