Design question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaw

I have a customer who wants my baron pen with two different caps. 1 being the standard cap the other being used with a chain. His wife is a nurse and wants to wear around her neck it a work. I am working with a silversmith to replace the clip with a neckless holder. The other idea woul be to make a closed end cap with a hole through the side when the chain to go through.
Just trying to see which way would be best.

Thanks

Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjackman

I like the idea of a custom part made by the silversmith, but wonder if simply "replacing the clip" is the right way to go? (seems to me the pen might always hang at a wierd angle)
Lots of vintage pens were made as necklace style for women. Most are a closed end with no clip, but some type of ring at the top to accomodate the chain. What about combining your closed end idea with your silversmith and doing some type of loop on top of the closed end for the chain.
Some here might be interested in buying some of the loop parts if he's willing to make them in a small run instead of a one-off.

vick

Ask Anthony (penworks) he has done ring tops before. I have seen parts that looks like they work at my local Michael's store in the aisle where they have jewelry beads, but have never got around to trying them.

pssherman

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Is there a chance any of the "thing on a string" kits that PSI sells match the tube? You might be able to buy one of those kits and use that kit's end. Just a thought... [:)]
The tubes don't have to match.

If you turn the cap as a closed end with a little extra length and drill the 'closed' part to fit the tube, shortened, of the 'thing on a string' kit. The tube only needs to be long enough for the end piece to be pressed in. There are plenty of style and plating combinations to choose from when tube size is not critical.

Paul in AR

gerryr

I would hesitate to do this with a Baron. My reason is that I often wear cargo pants and sometimes shirts without pockets. On several occasions I carried a Baron in the cargo pants pocket and every single time it unthreaded itself. I realize that wearing it around neck is not the same, but it's something I would consider.

Galanw

If it must be a Baron or other capped pen, the chain had better attached to the cap and not the writing end. I cannot viualize writing with the part that is attached to your neck. Actually, I can visualize it, and it looks painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom