Delta VS 8 inch Grinder Stopped Working

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Mine is about 6 months old and equipped with a CBN and Norton's wheel. The light works, but in the middle of sharpening my skew, the motor stopped. No odor (burning smell), nor was it under much resistance or running more than a few seconds. The light continues to work. I guess I have a very large, illuminated paperweight! :) Any thoughts? Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

Wondering if it is working now. Some motors have an automatic thermal protector built in that may have tripped for some reason. I have also seen motors that have a thermal protector that is designed to blow to protect the motor, but the only way to repair it is to take the motor completely apart. I would call Delta and ask them, as it seems it should be under warranty. I worry about using CBN wheels on a standard grinder as it seems they would be a much higher load that a normal grinding wheel.

TonyL

Thank you and yes, I agree about the CBN wheels. I always start the rotation manually just in case. D-way and others have been using the same grinder for years with their CBN wheels. It's under warranty. For $129, I will buy another one until this one comes back from service. I thought the same think about the thermal protector. Still not working this morning. Maybe there's a way to reset it manually. Thanks folks! I can but at least another 8 before buying a Baldor...and they report issues too. Part of the fun! :).

Skie_M

Might be dust getting into the connections or into the switch ..... when it comes back, you may wish to grab some silicone sealant and seal the area around the switch and put a light filter on the motor compartment openings to keep dust out. Of course, you'll probably want to open it up and clean it inside with compressed air first. :)

TonyL

Under warranty, but bought a second with a $17 warranty - full refund price on a gift card - no questions asked, I don't have to ship anything anywhere. I guess I will have two LOL

Thx for your suggestions!

Top Bottom