Delta Iron Bed 1440 Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CabinetMaker

I have a chance to get this lathe but nobody knows what the lathe is worth. It is an estate sale. Does anybody have any idea what this lathe is worth?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 1,914
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

It is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it.

Personally, I wouldn't give to much. Now if some tools and other 'things' came with it.......it could be worth more.

low_48

I wouldn't spend more than $150 on it. It is not good for off balanced bowls since the slowest speed is 450. Reeves drive pulleys really need good maintenance for long life. Delta's part business is basically nonexistent. Make sure you hear it run before buying.

That's one of my lathes. The non-working one right now. When I got it (used) a number of years ago, I paid $500. It served me well until the Reeves drive started to bind up. Made changing speeds tougher and tougher. Then I managed to break one of the cast zinc (!) pulleys while I was "fixing" it. Finally got a replacement and reassembled it but another part of the Reeves drive is bad now.
Bottom line - DELTA DOESN'T MAKE PARTS FOR THIS ONE ANYMORE. If it's working and changing speeds is easy, I'd go fo it. $150, absolute top at $250. The pic looks like it hasn't been used too much. If that's the case, it might be ok. You can take the back cover off pretty easy (4 Phillips screws). If there are any broken or cracked pulleys or if it's hard to change speeds (only while it's running) then run away.

CabinetMaker

This is a pass. The problems with this lathe would make it very expensive to own. Thanks for the feed back. I am really glad I asked.

Top Bottom