Delta band saw problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Today I tried turning on my bandsaw, and got nothing but a hum. The blade didn't even try to turn. I can turn the wheel manually with a problem, so it's not binding. Not being a mechanical genius, I wonder if anyone could give me a clue. Brushes maybe, or a capacitor? I don't want to buy a new motor just to find out it's a $5 part.

EDIT: It a 14" single speed Delta.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Bob; Remove the blade from the saw and then turn the switch on and carefully spin the drive wheel. Don't put anything you want to keep attached inside the spokes. If it spins up, it is likely a start capacitor or a centrifugal switch. PS. don't let the motor sit there and hum, it can damage the motor.

BSea

Bob; Remove the blade from the saw and then turn the switch on and carefully spin the drive wheel. Don't put anything you want to keep attached inside the spokes. If it spins up, it is likely a start capacitor or a centrifugal switch. PS. don't let the motor sit there and hum, it can damage the motor.
I tried that too, but no luck.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow. (Hey it's father's day. I get to play):rolleyes:. If I still can't get it working, I guess I'll take it to a repair shop.

Charlie_W

Today I tried turning on my bandsaw, and got nothing but a hum. The blade didn't even try to turn. I can turn the wheel manually with a problem, so it's not binding. Not being a mechanical genius, I wonder if anyone could give me a clue. Brushes maybe, or a capacitor? I don't want to buy a new motor just to find out it's a $5 part.

Hey Bob!
You say you tried turning on your bandsaw........turning works better on a lathe! :biggrin:

KBs Pensnmore

I know this may sound stupid, but is it plugged in properly, I've had a problem that was similar, where something knocked the plug out slightly, just enough to not make electrical connection.:rolleyes: Try something else in that socket to check the fuse also.
Kryn

BSea

Hey Bob!
You say you tried turning on your bandsaw........turning works better on a lathe! :biggrin:
I had to go back to turning on the lathe, I kept having OOR problems on the bandsaw.:tongue:

I know this may sound stupid, but is it plugged in properly, I've had a problem that was similar, where something knocked the plug out slightly, just enough to not make electrical connection.:rolleyes: Try something else in that socket to check the fuse also.
Kryn
I tried plugging in to another outlet. I don't see how it can be a fuse since it does get power.

I'll do more work on it today.

BSea

Ok, so based on the electrical supply I went to, it's not a capacitor. I thought that too, but thought I'd ask. I need a new motor.

Here's what I'm thinking about. Currently my motor is a 3/4 hp open motor. I'm thinking of going with this: MTR-1P5-1AB18 | 1.5 hp AC Induction Motor: rolled steel, 56C, 1800 RPM

For those with some electrical & motor knowledge, does this look like a reasonable replacement/upgrade? I know I will have to do some work to mount it. But I've been reading on upgrading my bandsaw, so I have an idea of what I'll have to do. What's funny is all the upgrade stories never gave much in the way of motor specs. I'm sure it's because they figured it would be obvious, but not to me. One thing that concerns me is that this one has what looks like 2 different capacitors. Is this good, bad, or make no real difference?

Grizzley also makes a 1.5 hp and a 2 hp. The 1.5 hp is $262, and the 2hp is $295. So what would you guys do? I do know I need a 1700 to 1800 rpm motor, and one that is reversible or ccw.

Oh, and just for you Charlie_W: Turning a Bowl on a Bandsaw - YouTube :biggrin:

Last edited:

BSea

Personally I would go with a Farm Duty Leeson motor.
Something like this... Leeson Farm-Duty Electric Motor — 1.5 HP, 1725 RPM, Model# 110089.00 | Electric Motors| Northern Tool + Equipment

I have an old Delta Milwaukee from 1951 with the 2HP version of this motor. I am definitely happy with the setup. I also have it running on 220V power.
Thanks for the post. Since we don't have Norther Tool in Little Rock, I thought of Tractor Supply. Here's what I ended up getting: Marathon Electric® Farm Duty/Shop Motor, 1-1/2 HP - Tractor Supply Co. And the good thing was they had a 15% off sale for anything that would fit into 1 of their 5 gallon buckets. So it saved me $42.

No to do a little creative mounting, and I should be back in business.

BSea

Finally got my bandsaw up and running. I had to do a little cosmetic surgery to get the bigger motor to fit. But it works great. I haven't cut anything really thick yet, but it's nice to have my saw back. I sure hated cutting blanks on my table saw.

Crashmph

I do not have much experience with Marathon Motors, but I am glad you are back up and running again. Did you wire it for 110v or 220v. Personally I would go for the 220v if you have the outlet availability.

Top Bottom