Delta 46-460 question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I am about to purchase a new lathe. Can someone tell me the amount of usable travel provided by the tailstock of the 46-460 for drilling blanks. My Jet 1014 comes up a bit short in this department. Thanks Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

A little less than 2".

My drill chuck bottoms out at about 0.5" on the scale, and the quill extends to about 2.25"

- Joe

Last edited:

bking0217

If drilling blanks is your goal, it does the job well. I have a bench-top drill press that bought from Harbor Freight but I've never used it because my lathe drills all my blanks.

moke

My Drill chuck must not be as good as Joe's. Mine bottoms out at .75. So I only get about 1.5" of total travel. Which is ok, I just reposition and continue in.

I had lots of problems drilling at first and noted that there was lots of slop in the tailstock---I tried tightening the screw underneath but that was not the issue...I returned the tailstock to the local vendor where it was purchased, they gave me another right out of a box and I have had zero problems since....it is a great piece of equipment.
Moke

Last edited:

SteveG

Thanks for the responses. I had hoped the travel were a bit longer, and not need the repositioning of the tail stock. One thing, Moke, I think you can cut off the tail end of the MT2 for the drill chuck, and get more travel. I expect to do so with mine once I get the new lathe. My goal is to drill MOST blanks without repositioning the tail stock. Happy turning to all.
Steve

bradh

One thing, Moke, I think you can cut off the tail end of the MT2 for the drill chuck, and get more travel. I expect to do so with mine once I get the new lathe.
The sad thing is the centres that came with my 46-460 bottom out between 1/2" and the 1" travel mark. There is an opportunity for improvement for the Delta people.

Top Bottom