Delta 46-460 leveling question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brh

Tried searching for info to no avail....Ordered a Delta 46-460 w/ stand, awaiting delivery. My shop has a poorly laid concrete and flagstone floor. The floor is approx. 1 1/2" out of level where the lathe needs to go. For various reasons, leveling the floor is not an option.

Does it seem reasonable to bolt a 2x6 to the floor at the low side, then bolt the stand to the wood? Or would I be better off 86'ing the stand and building a custom cabinet to account for leveling?

I would appreciate any advice, insights, etc that you veterans may have. Many thanks.

Regards,
Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Brian,
If you are leaving the lathe in one place, you may have enough adjustment with the padded feet. I changed mine to HD casters so I can't measure the adjustment length. I've seen a couple different bases on the stands. Another option is to bolt the wood blocks to the base where the feet go. This would allow for more adjustments rather than dealing with a full length board between the stand base.
I hope this makes sense to you. :confused::confused:

Brh

Kevin, thanks for your reply. Yes, you made perfect sense. I suppose I should wait until delivery; without know what the stand's feet are like, hard to arrive at a good solution. Even if the padded feet are adjustable, my concern is stability at 1 1/2" out.

Regards,
Brian

plano_harry

It should not be an issue about stand stability and extended pads or whatever. But, how about making a 3x4 pad that is level and has room for you to stand on it as well? Won't it be uncomfortable to stand on a slope for extended periods while turning? That Delta is so nice, you are going to want to use it a lot. Throw some Harbor Freight floor pads on top and you can go for hours.

rherrell

It doesn't have to be "level", it just can't have a "twist" in it. As long as your floor is only sloping in one direction you should be fine, if it slopes in two directions then..........nevermind!:biggrin:

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Brian,
If you get one of Ricks round tool rests, that lathe can slope in any stable angle (in one direction) and you can turn like a champ with it! :biggrin:

Brh

Thanks all, for your input. Did a little shuffling around of shop items and created a space for the lathe in a relatively level location.

Still waiting for the lathe to ship. I understand that Delta is behind in shipping due to a warehouse move. While I've been waiting, I have been assembling my tooling (starter tooling, anyway) cutting blanks and got some inexpensive kits. Just need the beast now. Thanks again.

Regards,
Brian

Top Bottom