Delta 46-250

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnnyCC

Hello all, I am new to turning, but have been interested for some time. I recently got a used 46-250 midi lathe with a set of tools and a bunch of pen kits and blanks. I am very excited to start turning out some pens. However, after turning my first two pens (which turned out really well), I went to adjust the speed by moving the belt position and found that the nut (plastic) that holds the adjustment bracket was spinning freely so I could not loosen it to adjust my speed. I tried pulling it off with some vice grips, but it is locked on the bolt pretty well. I am happy with the lathe and will enjoy the new hobby, I just want to be able to change my speed. Any ideas?

Johnny the Noob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I'm not quite following you. Is there any way you could post some pictures to help me understand what you talking about?

jfoh

Those lever engage when pushed inward. Try pushing in and then turning. Sometimes you have to give it a slight wrack with your favorite hammer. Worst case is to break the plastic lever off and then use a set of pliers to turn the bolt. I had the same lathe and replaced all the old levers several years before I retired it to the back of the shop. It is a very solid lathe that should give you very good service.

JohnnyCC

Pics of my broken lathe part

in the first picture I am pointing to the spring loaded lever. After I took the lever off to try and spin the plastic part by hand (or a vice grip :)) It still would not turn. I tried to pull it off too, but it is on there good! I don't want to, but my next option is to cut the thing off. Does anyone know a style of proper removal of parts like this?

Thanks,

Johnny the Noob

Attachments

• lathe 1.JPG
    lathe 1.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 807
  • lathe 2.JPG
    lathe 2.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 380

rherrell

It sounds like the bolt is frozen. That lever is cheap plastic and will strip out before it will turn a frozen bolt. Try some penetrating oil, squeeze it all around the bolt and give it a few taps with a hammer, that should loosen it. The bolt WILL come out, you just might have to work at it...be patient.

DON'T cut it off, all that will do is send you to the hardware store for an easy-out!!!

After you get it out measure the threads and either buy a new locking lever or just put a regular bolt in it, you'll need a wrench to move it but it's right there in front so it's not a problem.

Have you ever been able to turn it? I am just trying to find out if you over tightened it or was it working for you? My Comet 2 has the same type of arrangement and I find that it really doesn't need to be very tight to hold things just fine.

JohnnyCC

Yes it did work when I first set it up. Maybe I did over tighten it. Would the penetrating oil trick work then? Like was said, The nut is cheap.

Maybe you can just work it a bit. You could try tapping on the wrench while you put pressure on it and see if it will let go? The oil can't hurt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom