Delrin- What can you make from it? where do you get it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

What does everyone make delrin for and where can you buy it?
I am thinking of making my own tools from it, I have delrin bushings and a tube insertion tool i was wondering what else can be made using it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
How much do you need and what dia. ?

I get mine through an industrial supplier, but they require you to have a business account with them. So I go through my employer.

DozerMite

Banned

JimMc7

So it has to be purchased in 8' lengths that they cut to 4' ?

I get mine in 1' lengths.

I don't know - never bought Delrin from Tap. Ordering info suggests they will cut to whatever length you want and 8' will cost a $20 premium in addition to other shipping. I suspect they would be happy to cut to shorter lengths. The 6" lengths that John sells are all I've needed.

dexter0606

I get my "plastics" from a local industrial supplier. I get drop offs fairly cheap. I'm sure they'd be willing to sell you some of their "scrap"
I get stuff to use for molds, etc

DozerMite

Banned
I've used the sheet stock to make molds. The cost is a bit higher than some of the alternatives though. The round stock I've used for plugs, bushings, spacers, sleeves, funnels, dart tips, and even made a pen once.

johnnycnc

i was thinking of using it for molds

It works pretty well for molds, I use to have a set when I was casting.
I think mine was 1-1/4" diameter, but in my opinion, the thicker the wall section the better. I noticed on the thicker wall molds, i got lesss heat cracks
in the castings.
I have a lot of 1-1/2" diameter that could be cut to ?? length.

You can also use it for a durable easy to machine plastic for odds and ends. My son (with me "supervising") made some spacer washers for a new buffing setup just yesterday. Didn't need to be metal so the delrin was great.

I use it for prototype work some too, it cuts like butter on the cnc, and
it's no wear on tools.
Just handy stuff to have around for whatever you dream up.:)

Top Bottom