Deft Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceD

I recently had to refinish a snakewood pen that I used Deft clear gloss spray. The laquer started to flake off in a couple of spots after about eight weeks of use.

I'm thinking about buying Deft in a quart can and airbrushing it on the pens but after reading the instructions on the can I'm not so sure.

The instructions say it is not meant to be thinned or sprayed, only brushed on. What I'd like to is has anyone tried airbrushing the laquer on and does thinning it weakens the finish ?

If anyone has any experience with this I'd like their input.

Thanks,
Lance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I have been thinning Deft with 40-50% lacquer thinner and spraying it for years without any ill effects. Some of the old finishes that I still have still look good. Just be aware that Deft is a Nitro-Cellulose lacquer and that it will turn an amber color with age. Other than that, it is a good finish. Most woods will look better with the coloring.

alamocdc

Lance, if the lacquer is flaking off the wood it's probably because of the oils in it. One way to avoid this is a good wipe down with DNA before you spray it. Personally, I don't apply a finish on oily woods (other than wax). One reason is as you described, and I really don't want to risk haiving the removal of the natural oils causing it to crack at t later date. I also happen to like the look of such a wood after the natural oils and oils from our hands give it a patina. But that's just me.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />IIRC, eagle used an airbrush to apply Deft. Don't know if he thins it or not. Why don't you contact him and see what thoughts he has??
When using the HF air brush I thin the Deft
7 soda caps of Deft to 3 soda caps thinner.
I believe Czarcastic also thins when he sprays

its_virgil

I thin 50-50 with lacquer thinner and wipe on 4 or 5 coats with t-shirt material. Wait a week or so and buff. Works for me. I don't see the need to spray it on, but it may work better that way. I just toss the cloth and have no spray equipment to clean[:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by LanceD
<br />I recently had to refinish a snakewood pen that I used Deft clear gloss spray. The laquer started to flake off in a couple of spots after about eight weeks of use.

I'm thinking about buying Deft in a quart can and airbrushing it on the pens but after reading the instructions on the can I'm not so sure.

The instructions say it is not meant to be thinned or sprayed, only brushed on. What I'd like to is has anyone tried airbrushing the laquer on and does thinning it weakens the finish ?

If anyone has any experience with this I'd like their input.

Thanks,
Lance

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
By spraying I can put multiple coats on in one day, sanding between coats I get an extremely deep finish,wait 2 or 3 days.
I don't use a mechanical buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom