Deer Antler questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I recently posted on Craigslist looking for deer antler. I have not turned antler before but want to try. I was wondering a few things.

1. What is a fair price for antler?
2. One of the people who already responded asked me this. " Hey are you looking for a rack or sheds? I m not sure if your familiar with what a sheded or "dropped" antler is tho message me if you have any questions."

Does it matter if they are dropped or full racks?

What else should I be looking for or avoiding when buying local antler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

I buy most of my antler on E-Bay. If memory serves me right, they cost around $25.00 for 10 blanks. The blanks are precut to around 2 1/2 inches. I prefer this because I know I'll be able to turn 10 pens from these blanks. Buying antler by the rack or shed you don't know how many pens you could turn. A lot of the tines are too small.

Seven

KBs Pensnmore

I buy most of my antler on E-Bay. If memory serves me right, they cost around $25.00 for 10 blanks. The blanks are precut to around 2 1/2 inches. I prefer this because I know I'll be able to turn 10 pens from these blanks. Buying antler by the rack or shed you don't know how many pens you could turn. A lot of the tines are too small.

Seven

When you go to cut them, they smell quite bad sometimes. Keep the offcuts as they are useful for making bands or as features/repairs for breaks on the end of pens. Hopefully you are not allergic to CA, as you will need it to finish the blanks, get a good respirator for fumes of the CA. I wasn't allergic to the stuff, until I did 110 pens finished with CA, but now after 5 mins using it, my sinus plays up, running nose, itchy eyes. Not to scare you but to let you know what could happen.

Regards
Kryn

I recently posted on Craigslist looking for deer antler. I have not turned antler before but want to try. I was wondering a few things.

1. What is a fair price for antler?
2. One of the people who already responded asked me this. " Hey are you looking for a rack or sheds? I m not sure if your familiar with what a sheded or "dropped" antler is tho message me if you have any questions."

Does it matter if they are dropped or full racks?

What else should I be looking for or avoiding when buying local antler?

Go for the sheds. full rack will take more time to process.
Get pictures. the shed may have gnaw marks. some you perhaps may have to cut away.
Prices are by pound, they can range from as low $6 for weathered up to $15. The bigger the size the more it will cost.

When you get some, remember to wear a mask and eye protection. the dust is not good at all to get inhaled. Yes it may smell but no worse that burning hair.

Personally, I never do anything extra when finishing. Just sand it up to 600 then buff, polish and wax it. You may see hews of red or yellow as you turn. that is natural don't worry over it.
Plus Go to eBay. that is where you should find good deals on pre cut.

Seven

When you go to cut them, they smell quite bad sometimes. Keep the offcuts as they are useful for making bands or as features/repairs for breaks on the end of pens. Hopefully you are not allergic to CA, as you will need it to finish the blanks, get a good respirator for fumes of the CA. I wasn't allergic to the stuff, until I did 110 pens finished with CA, but now after 5 mins using it, my sinus plays up, running nose, itchy eyes. Not to scare you but to let you know what could happen.

Regards
Kryn

Why cover it in CA. it is bone just polish it up and wax it. you're done. Try it without the CA. you will get a better shine.

gimpy

You may want to check with your state games laws to see if it is "legal" to purchase them, and were they taken legal, and provide the proper doc. stating so

paintspill

I don't know it this will come into play with you or your potential customers, but I have found that some people are much more accepting to natural shed antler. knowing that something didn't die for your pen can be a huge selling feature. i even market that all my pens come from natural shed. i have a customer that gets them from his dads property for me. he also hunts and has requested pens from his "personal collection" for his own use and gifts for fellow hunters.

Top Bottom