Deep Purple Inlace

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ghostrider

ghostrider

This is the second Inlace Acrylester I've tried (still working on the first one).

This stuff really does require a light cut, and takes longer than Alumilite.

Another modified Slimline.

Any questions or comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG0127.jpg
    IMAG0127.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 243
  • IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Nice pen, I love the color and the look of Inlace Acrylester, but the only tool I ever found that worked good was a 60 grit skew, (just kidding) sort of, it is a beautiful material and you purple one is awesome, I've heard that a skew master can do them if they can keep the tool beyond razor sharp.
Congratulations on a beauty of a pen!!

renowb

Nice pen! I always have trouble photographing purple. It never comes out as good as yours.

ghostrider

Nice pen, I love the color and the look of Inlace Acrylester, but the only tool I ever found that worked good was a 60 grit skew, (just kidding) sort of, it is a beautiful material and you purple one is awesome, I've heard that a skew master can do them if they can keep the tool beyond razor sharp.
I was turning it with the skew (and mine is sharp enough to pop hairs off my arm), but then I read the instructions that called for a fingernail gouge, or spindle gouge, and tried that. I learned also (then read in the instructions) that it requires patience, and light cuts. In some cases, I did go down to 150 grit, just because I was being cautious. I think with a bit more practice (and patience. I find I'm being too aggressive with it), that the fingernail gouge works well. I think the main thing is just, "light cuts".

bitshird

I was turning it with the skew (and mine is sharp enough to pop hairs off my arm), but then I read the instructions that called for a fingernail gouge, or spindle gouge, and tried that. I learned also (then read in the instructions) that it requires patience, and light cuts. In some cases, I did go down to 150 grit, just because I was being cautious. I think with a bit more practice (and patience. I find I'm being too aggressive with it), that the fingernail gouge works well. I think the main thing is just, "light cuts".

The best luck turning Inlace for me was done with one of my round 1 tools, it has a small round insert, so not a lot of cutting surface is engaging with the material at once. The problem was controlling the contour since the tiny cutting surface left some wavy areas, which I finally got flat with a brand new R2 insert which left a nearly sanding free surface, BUT it get expensive doing it that way. in a regular woodchuck. It's a bloody shame the stuff is so hard to work with cause it's beautiful!!

ghostrider

The best luck turning Inlace for me was done with one of my round 1 tools, it has a small round insert, so not a lot of cutting surface is engaging with the material at once. The problem was controlling the contour since the tiny cutting surface left some wavy areas, which I finally got flat with a brand new R2 insert which left a nearly sanding free surface, BUT it get expensive doing it that way. in a regular woodchuck. It's a bloody shame the stuff is so hard to work with cause it's beautiful!!
I don't think there is going to be a quick way to do it without practice developing the skill with either tool to get it sanding free. I can get close with the fingernail gouge, and then wet sand, but I still need sanding.

Honestly, As much as I like this blank, I'm pretty sure that Buzzzz4 could make me something pretty close to effect and appearance that is much easier to turn.

I have a holigrafic "Galaxy" blank that he might not do, but for the trouble on this look I just don't see the worth when there is a nicer alternative

Top Bottom