Decanting Gallons?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Anybody have suggestions for decanting the big metal gallons of PR into something easier to manage? I'm getting tired of getting PR all over the place.

Can old quart cans (like the castin-craft ones) be reused somehow?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think most of the distributors websites have pumps that you can buy,
they screw onto the container (replacing the cap) and for a few dollars you
now have a one gallon dispenser. Pump out your resin as needed and no
need to put the cover on.

Now, getting the resin from a 5 gallon container into the one gallon jug...
that's a different story..

http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html look about 1/3 of the way
down the page for the pumps
or here:
http://alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Tools&Name=1 oz. Pump Dispenser

Last edited:

Robert Taylor

i should probably let jeff (workinforwood) chime in here but he may be at a show this weekend. he uses alumilite and pours it into rubbermaid quart containers and put a large A and B on the containers with a marker. looked liked a good way to go to me.

DurocShark

Are those pumps reusable? Or do I need to toss them for each gallon? If so, that increases the cost considerably of a gallon of stuff. But then, so does wasting a bunch from each pour.

VisExp

At one of the demos at our local chapter I watched Charles (Glass Scratcher) decant from a five gallon can into a small flask without spilling a drop. His solution is so simple it borders on genius :biggrin:

He put the can on it's side with the lid at the twelve o'clock position. Then he removed the cap and slowly rotated the can. As the can rotated the PR level slowly rose relative to the opening until it started to come out. Very simple and easy.

bitshird

Laundry detergant bottles work well and they have that ring that will allow the PR to run back in plus the spout which helps pouring, Ed4copies sells PR in gallon see through jugs that are very easy to work with, iihate the gallon and 5 gallon metal containers, way too hard to work with.

RAdams

Banned
I get mine from USComp in the one gallon metal cans also. I, like Charles, tried to find the simplest solution... Mine cost about 2 pennies.

I don't even mess with the twist cap hole. Instead, i use a Phillips screwdriver, and knock a hole in the top at one corner. Then, at the opposite corner, i knock two holes. The single hole is where i pour from, and the double holes act as vents to let air in the can so there is no glugging. Then, I use two pieces of duck tape to cover the holes. When i want to pour, i remove the tape from the pouring side, and just pull it back far enough on the other side to expose the ventholes. I lose maybe 6 or 8 drops or so per gallon doing it this way, and all it cost is a couple pieces of duck tape!

P.S. If you use this method, it helps a bunch if you twist the can as you stop each pour. It cuts the flow of PR instantly, and you lose nothing usually. I can pour straight into those little 3 ounce dixie cups without worrying about spills, or accidental overflows.

el_d

I have gone thru several gallons of PR with this cheap spout made from 2 inch masking tape. I cut a piece about 4-5 inches and wrap it around the mouth of the gallon. Just gotto make sure the tape is nice and tight on the mouth of the gallon. The residual PR runs down the spout and back into the can. When done just remove tape and wipe off small amount on mouth.

Before this "spout" I would always have a mess with the gallon metal canisters.......

Attachments

• GallonPR.jpg
    GallonPR.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 122
  • GallonPRtop.jpg
    GallonPRtop.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 119
Top Bottom