Decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I couldn't think of any better place to put this question but if some sees it needs to be moved is fine with me. I have looked through some of the past threads on decal work for pens. I am looking to do some decal work on various sized pens. What I am looking to do is to get a photo of a waving flag (USA) and size it down to different pen tube sizes and then cast it in clear resin. I read about some of the pitfalls of resin rasing the decal and distorting the colors and all and I guess I will have to play with that.

My problem comes with doing the computer work. I have some Testors decal paper. How do I get a photo of a flag and make it the size I need to cover a pen tube, say a sierra as an example??? I need it to wrap all around the tube covering it entirely. How do I transfer this to the decal paper??? If someone could list some of the steps to get this far would be great. If you want to PM me that is fine (in case you don't want to be seen talking to me:biggrin:) I have photoshopCS3 if that helps. Would it be better to get labels instead and do this??? I have a HP inkjet printer.

Thanks for the help and replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

If you are going to cast over it, I don't know that a decal is the best choice. But anyway, I put pictures of stuff on a lot of the pens I make. I just search the internet and pull the pictures I want.

I resize them and print tests and see if they fit and then make them bigger or smaller depending on what I need. I then print it on high quality paper and glue it to the blank and cover it with CA.

If you are going to do decals you have to get a can of the fixit (or whatever it is) to spray over the decal once it is printed. Also you have to figure out how to print it backwards so it shows up right.

I might be tempted to find some high rag content paper (that feels like cloth) and print on that and then cast. It might look better, but I don't know.

dexter0606

I don't think bushing to bushing will be an issue if you are casting the tube. I'm assuming that you're going to paint the tube, decal it and then clear cast. Shouldn't be a problem. You won't have to worry about a reverse image either as far as I can tell.
Find the picture you want and paste it into a program that will let you resize / format it. I use Word. Then I keep doing test prints on paper until I get it to the size I want. I then copy the picture a bunch of times on the sheet so that I'm not just printing one copy. You never know if you need extra. I usually just copy as many as I can on one line across the document.
I will say that I haven't tried casting a decal but am thinking of it. I have used Avery see through label sheets. They are a little more of a matte finish. I've attached a picture below of a cast label. I printed a label simulating a scrabble board. I calculated the length it needed to be so I could get a full wrap.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• Pen 208 - 1.jpg
    Pen 208 - 1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 424

Freethinker

I have used Avery see through label sheets. They are a little more of a matte finish. I've attached a picture below of a cast label. I printed a label simulating a scrabble board. I calculated the length it needed to be so I could get a full wrap.

Man, that is one good looking pen! Love the job you did on it.

jttheclockman

I don't think bushing to bushing will be an issue if you are casting the tube. I'm assuming that you're going to paint the tube, decal it and then clear cast. Shouldn't be a problem. You won't have to worry about a reverse image either as far as I can tell.
Find the picture you want and paste it into a program that will let you resize / format it. I use Word. Then I keep doing test prints on paper until I get it to the size I want. I then copy the picture a bunch of times on the sheet so that I'm not just printing one copy. You never know if you need extra. I usually just copy as many as I can on one line across the document.
I will say that I haven't tried casting a decal but am thinking of it. I have used Avery see through label sheets. They are a little more of a matte finish. I've attached a picture below of a cast label. I printed a label simulating a scrabble board. I calculated the length it needed to be so I could get a full wrap.
Hope this helps

Jeff, I remember seeing this pen and it still looks great:) I want to cast with resin so I want to use a painted tube and place a decal or label on the tube and have it cover the entire tube. I am going to have to learn how to make the decal fit the entire tube. NewLondon gave me a starting point with some math work. Now all I need to find is a nice clear colored waving flag.

Jeff when you did that did you think about the consequences of trademark violations or is there any??? Also is it possible to see the seam and how you handled that??? Thanks for the reply.

PTownSubbie

I don't think bushing to bushing will be an issue if you are casting the tube. I'm assuming that you're going to paint the tube, decal it and then clear cast.

Also is it possible to see the seam and how you handled that??? .

True, it won't matter since you are casting on the tube.

When you deside how tall the decal needs to be just measure the tube diameter and multiply by Pi (3.1418.....). Just like Charlie said only use the tube diameter vice the bushing diameter.

The seam is the hardest part with decals and anything else that wraps around a pen tube or blank. Getting the smooth seam and good design across the seam is where you will spend the majority of your time.

dexter0606

Jeff when you did that did you think about the consequences of trademark violations or is there any??? Also is it possible to see the seam and how you handled that??? Thanks for the reply.

The Avery labels are fairly thin and with the pattern of the "board" I was able to overlap slightly. I wrapped the label almost completely around and then trimmed as close as possible, leaving a little overlap.

As for trademark, I didn't use any logos. Just put the word scrabble on a patterned background :wink:. For the sake of one pen I don't think the board game gods will strike me down.

dexter0606

Michael
It's Avery number 08665. They are full 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. As I said they are kind of a matte finish. I haven't found anything that's glossier yet. Just make sure you wait a day or two after printing before you cast just to make sure the ink is dry. I didn't seal the label and didn't have any issues. Don't know if that was just luck though.

jttheclockman

Michael
It's Avery number 08665. They are full 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. As I said they are kind of a matte finish. I haven't found anything that's glossier yet. Just make sure you wait a day or two after printing before you cast just to make sure the ink is dry. I didn't seal the label and didn't have any issues. Don't know if that was just luck though.

Also did you have any issues with them coming off either when casting or when turning??? I assume these are peal and stick labels??? What does the matte finish do to the look of the casting??? Does it look matte or does the resin give it a shine when polished??? Thanks for the replys.

Padre

Charlie, what do you use to stick the decal to the tube? Do you coat the decal with anything?

I want to cast with resin so I want to use a painted tube and place a decal or label on the tube and have it cover the entire tube. I am going to have to learn how to make the decal fit the entire tube.

You will likely do it differently for a decal or a label. For labels, you'll likely
want some overlap (4-5mm, I think . but depends on the label) so that it
can stick to itself. Otherwise you might get 'floaties' in your casting.
DAMHIKT.

As for seams, you'd do well to try and incorporate it into your design. People
tend to look for seams at the bottom of an image. SO .. put it somewhere
else! A design that has lines is great for hiding a seam.. so are designs with
black backgrounds. The Scrabble pen (love that one!) is a great candidate
for hiding the seam. Since the image will wrap around the entire tube, you
can shift the image so that it starts about halfway down the page, and
continues down from the top (as compared to continuing on the next page)
so people won't be looking for the seam where it is . They'll look for it where
they EXPECT it to be, and they won't find it.

dexter0606

Also did you have any issues with them coming off either when casting or when turning??? I assume these are peal and stick labels??? What does the matte finish do to the look of the casting??? Does it look matte or does the resin give it a shine when polished??? Thanks for the replys.

Yes the labels are self adhesive. No issues with casting or turning. The resin still shines up so it's just like looking through a window at something that isn't glossy. Looks good. I just wanted you to know it wasn't glossy before you got too far.

Padre

So you use the self adhesive Avery clear labels?

Charlie, what do you use to stick the decal to the tube? Do you coat the decal with anything?

The labels I've used were mostly self adhesive, but I've also used double
stick tape on a vinyl sheet. Definitely less work with the labels. I've also
coated them various ways with results all over the place. (mostly due to my
own impatience and lack of organization.. kept forgetting which labels were
which..) CA coating works and spray lacquer works too. BUT don't be as
impatient as I was.. let the labels dry thoroughly before spraying, then let
them dry/cure/off-gas before casting. I've also 'painted' the labels (after
applying to the tubes" with resin to saturate the paper labels. That helps to
displace the air. paper is full of air, and it likes to hide until you're not looking.

Speaking of patience, give the blank plenty of time to fully cure, not just
harden. Turning too soon can allow the semi-cured resin to flex, and air
can get between the resin and the tube.

PTownSubbie

What kind of luck has any one had just putting a waterslide decal on a powdercoated tube and casting in a resin saver??

Ken,

Before I knew about labels, that was all I knew. Waterslide decals.

I didn't have powdercoated tubes but painted tubes. It worked fine with painted tubes so i would imagine it would work with powdercoated tubes also.

Padre

Not to be a real PITA here, but when you say 'labels', what labels do you mean?

So you use the self adhesive Avery clear labels?

I've never tried clear labels, only because I've never seen them look clear
on paper.. so it never occurred to me to try them in resin. If I use clear,
I use the water slide decals. I've still got an old Alps printer that I used for
making decals for modelers. (nice being able to print white or metallics!)
Everything else is on labels.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
If I understand this question, you're wanting to print a water slide off decal on Testors decal paper using your HP inkjet, put the decal on a painted tube and cast in clear PR and, you want the "flag" decal to wrap the entire tube. Here's what I would do: cut a strip of white paper 1/4" wide and 3" long and wrap it around the tube. Mark the exact point where the paper strip overlaps and you have the length of the circumfrance(sp) of the tube. Use the wordprocessor to inbed a picture you want to use. With the rulers showing along the top and left side of the WP document page, match the size of the decal to the strip of paper and print on plain paper to see if it fits; adjust as needed. When the size is right print on the Testors material. When the decal has dried, spray it with the spray seal coating available where you got the decal paper, about $5 a can. When that is dry you can apply it to the tube and then when dry again coat lightly with thin CA glue. From there cast as usual. HTH
WB

jttheclockman

If I understand this question, you're wanting to print a water slide off decal on Testors decal paper using your HP inkjet, put the decal on a painted tube and cast in clear PR and, you want the "flag" decal to wrap the entire tube. Here's what I would do: cut a strip of white paper 1/4" wide and 3" long and wrap it around the tube. Mark the exact point where the paper strip overlaps and you have the length of the circumfrance(sp) of the tube. Use the wordprocessor to inbed a picture you want to use. With the rulers showing along the top and left side of the WP document page, match the size of the decal to the strip of paper and print on plain paper to see if it fits; adjust as needed. When the size is right print on the Testors material. When the decal has dried, spray it with the spray seal coating available where you got the decal paper, about $5 a can. When that is dry you can apply it to the tube and then when dry again coat lightly with thin CA glue. From there cast as usual. HTH
WB

Thanks and thanks to all. This is what I am going to try. I think I got the flag picture figured out. I got how to put alot on one page. I got the size figured out now I have to figure out how to print on the decal material. Stupid ?????When I put the sheet in the paper holder drawer what side goes up??? The sticky side or the good side??? Does the paper flip over when it goes through the printer??? I also see I need to replace the red color ink cartridge:eek:

ToddMR

John, how your printer prints is based on the printer. An easy way to find out is mark a blank printer paper with a pen, just make a line or check mark. Now print something. find out which side the marking is on and then you know how the paper comes out. Some printers print on the side facing down others print on the side facing up. So that's a quick way to find out.

jttheclockman

John, how your printer prints is based on the printer. An easy way to find out is mark a blank printer paper with a pen, just make a line or check mark. Now print something. find out which side the marking is on and then you know how the paper comes out. Some printers print on the side facing down others print on the side facing up. So that's a quick way to find out.

Is there a DUH smiley here somewhere????

Good idea. I should have thought of that. I did not want to waste a sheet. These are not cheap as most probably know.:)

Top Bottom