decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

danom

Goodmorning;
Wondering if someone could give me some advice applying decals to my pens.
I start out finishing with 4 coats of ca. then sand to 12000 grit MM. I then apply decal, and let dry, I then apply another 3 to 4 coats of MM then finish again. When I look at my work, I can see whitish color under the decal. Was wondering if I am not drying long enough or something to make the decal blend in better than I am getting. Have a lot of pens to do with this order, hope I can work this out. I am using some very dry spalted birch from our local forest company here in BC
thks
Dave:at-wits-end:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rchan63

What brand name acylic spray are you using? Reason behind my question is I couldn't find the krylon and bought someting from Michaels. The CA have an reaction to the acrylic finish and turned it cloudy.

toyotaman

When you put your decal on "Waterslide" decal paper there is a decal "Bonder" that needs to sprayed on. You can get it from Hobby Lobby where the decal paper is located. Spray it on and let dry for at least an hour. I usually let mine dry for a few hours but have done it with an hour of drying time. Then you can apply the decal as you stated and let dry on the pen for a couple of hours before applying more CA as a topcoat. I've never had one turn white yet.

danom

decal

Thanks Toyotaman
Perhaps I am not letting the decal dry long enough on the pen before I start my final finishing, will try letting it dry longer.
thks
Dave

JohnU

Try putting them under a light bulb for a little bit before the ca finish. The heat will help reduce any moisture which reacts with the ca. Just don't get them too close. You don't want tO cook them, just get them warm. Don't ask how I know that. Lol

Last edited:

plantman

:confused::confused: Dave; This is just my idea and method. I think that the first 4 coats of CA are building up enough thickness to allow light reflection on the edges. or traping moisture under your decal that can't escape. The method I use on decals is to only use 1 coat of CA to seal the blank, if it is wood, after sanding. If it is acrylic, I sand it down to 12000, clean it with a tac rag, apply the decal, and finish with 4 - 6 coats of CA. Now resand to 12000 and polish. You can use this same method with a sticker, and the CA will smooth out the surface so that you can't feel the object underneath. "Older Turners" method. Jim S

danom

decal

Hi: Jim S
Thanks for your info. will try and see what comes of that. How long do you let your decal dry. Upon close examination I think that perhaps there is some moisture left under the decal. I messed with one trying to get some moisture out, to no avail. Wondering if wiping with tac cloth then some denatured alcohol which would get rid of moisture would help. Also maybe methy-hydrate which I used lots of in my trucking days due to moisture.
Dave

plantman

:cool::cool: Like John, I have a clip on goose neck light mounted to a shelf behind my mini lathe about 18"s above the work surface. I use it when I am sanding or finishing a blank as the direct lite will show up any imperfections. If I use a decal, I move the lite directly above it, but no closer. You have to be careful rubbing or patting your decal dry or trying any solvents on them. I purchased some decals off the internet only to find that when you got them wet the ink came off. Test one first. I will usualy find something else to do for about half an hour than come back to finish the blank. If something is going to happen, you will notice it quickly. Jim S

Top Bottom