Decal Challenges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

I have run into an issue with decals that I cannot seem to overcome.
The color is wiping from the label. Any tips would be appreciated.

My setup
- Inkjet decal paper (white)
- Krylon Crystal Clear

Small label - square and compass 3/4"x3/4" - just like my avatar
Label is printed - wait 1-2 days to dry
3-4 coats of Krylon 3-4 days to dry
In fact the batch I am using I printed and sprayed over a month ago.

Let soak in clean water 15 seconds - label begins to separate from backing.
Slide the label on the pen
Dab lightly to remove air bubbles and excess water

Any hints or tips are appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Try another shot of Krylon. Sounds like the ink isn't sealed. If you have several on one sheet, only cut off 1 to try. If it smears hit the remainder with another shot. Track the number of coats and repeat until you get good results. I've been using the Testors's sealer and find it might take several spritzes. Use a light mist, too much spray will also cause running of the colors.

JohnU

Are they smearing during the application, or when applying the ca? If it's an application issue, it might be the choice of decal paper. I use testers with no problems. I print and wait a day. Then deal with krylon clear and wait a day. Then trim and float on top of warm water, not submerged, and slid on the blank. I use a q-tip to arrange and pad lightly with a paper towel. Once in place I brush with micro sol with helps the decal soften and conform to the pen body shape. I let it dry overnight and then let a few drops of thin ca drip over the sticker. I don't touch it and just wipe the access off on the underside where it runs. After its dry, I switch to medium ca and apply my coats. I should mention, I apply the decal to a finished ca surface and not just the blank, but I use clear decal paper and this eps the small clear extra boarder blend in to the finish and be more invisible. Like said above, if they are smearing when clear coating, then your applying too thick. I usually apply 3-4 light coats. Hope you find something on this post to help you.

Last edited:

Pjohnson

Thanks guys.
I just printed another batch and changed the printer setting to photo paper.

Will give it a shot and report back.

JohnU

I get mine at Amazon. just search "Testors Decal Paper". There are a couple other brands out there and I've tried many of them, that works ok but found they don't hold up in the time it takes me to use them all, without sticking together.

Pjohnson

Update

Based on suggestions above -- Especially JohnU.

Reprinted with the printer set to Photo paper
4-5 coats of Kylon
And Q-tips for the application - What a great suggestion!

It applied without the smearing.

I attribute the success to all of the suggestions - not just one.

Many thanks - sorry for the iPhone pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 148
Top Bottom