Dec. Pen Swap Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lance

Thank You

Very NIce.
I'm so impressed with everyone's Ingenuity, and Craftsmanship.
I know I went outside my comfort level, and I'm a better turner for it. Seeing these examples, gives me something to strive for. Just wondering what the theme will be for next year. Much Thanks to All for your inspiration, Craftsmanship, and Your Willingness to share with others. What a Great group of People :biggrin::biggrin:

Merry Christmas to All
May the Lord's Blessing give" All" the Comfort they need.
You All will be in my Prayers

jyreene

Here is my PITH to Derek. Thanks again for putting it on and also for letting me jump back in.

For the theme I chose to jump back to childhood. It didn't work out perfectly but it looks pretty neat I think. The body is Legos that I molded around the tube with some heat. Got a little hot at some points. The cap is strategically (randomly) placed Legos. That part worked out better. I also learned that Legos bend easier if you use boiling water...next time. The stand is Wall-E with some Legos attached to hold the pen.

The ornament is a mystery wood. I'll try and dig out the light box and take some photos of the wood (I have more) and let you help identify it since I have no clue. But it's a bell shape with a construction grade stainless bolt as the hanger attachment.

I didn't send a bunch of goodies but included one of my wife's hot salts instead.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• WP_20141214_20_06_12_Pro 1.jpg
    WP_20141214_20_06_12_Pro 1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 148
  • WP_20141214_20_06_42_Pro 1.jpg
    WP_20141214_20_06_42_Pro 1.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 218
  • WP_20141214_20_03_41_Pro 1.jpg
    WP_20141214_20_03_41_Pro 1.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 267

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ty, I reckon Derek is bonkers enough to get a big kick out of that cool pen!!:biggrin:
Before I clicked on the thumbnail, I thought it was a real Dewalt battery drill !!:biggrin:

I really think that Landon is up there laughing his head off with all the wonderful creations made in this PITH. :)

jyreene

Ty, I reckon Derek is bonkers enough to get a big kick out of that cool pen!!:biggrin:
Before I clicked on the thumbnail, I thought it was a real Dewalt battery drill !!:biggrin:

I really think that Landon is up there laughing his head off with all the wonderful creations made in this PITH. :)

And that's the other thing I was totally going for...yes that's it.

I'm sure Landon is right chuffed watching us.

BWatson

My first decal pen...

Tracking says my pen and ornament were delivered to Mike, so I thought I would share some pics...this was my first decal pen. It's a PSI Vertex Click Pen and I created a "Vertex blueprint" for the decal. It was a lot of fun...wife says I should do more blueprint-themed pens.

Attachments

• IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2543.jpg
    IMG_2543.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 187

mike4066

Tracking says my pen and ornament were delivered to Mike, so I thought I would share some pics...this was my first decal pen. It's a PSI Vertex Click Pen and I created a "Vertex blueprint" for the decal. It was a lot of fun...wife says I should do more blueprint-themed pens.

I love this pen, it brings back a lot of memories.

The best part of this pen to me is the font used. I used to do drafting/CAD so I've spent a lot of time making/reading blue prints. I had to spend hours "forming letters" in a specific way. It's been 15 years since I did that type of work, but write in a similar style.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 150

Karl_99

Here is a pic of the pen and ornament that I sent to Todd (Penmaker1967). The cigar pen was made from a nice angled cut piece of pine crating lumber. I had the black centerband machined down to accept a green Corian ring for an accent. I thought the copper hardware would compliment the construction theme and the blank. The ornament was turned from a piece of spectraply and dipped in Craft Coat.

View in Gallery

This PITH was a lot of fun and I tried several new things. I also learned that ornament turning is much harder than pen turning.

Happy Holidays!

BSea

Here's my PITH to Lin (lorbay).Well, after sweating the really poor tracking inside the US on a package to Canada, my package was delivered to Lin on Christmas Eve, and he asked me to post pictures.

The pen is a kitless click made with PVC for the nib & clicker housing (my unofficial name for the piece that the click mechanism screws into). My original intention was to have some thin bass wood planks resemble decking, or a wood floor. But I got a little carried away when sanding, and sanded through a spot. So I set it down for a day to decide what to do. It was getting a little late to start a new body, so my options were to turn off the bass wood and re-do the bass wood strips, or to sand off more, and make it look really distressed. Since the more I looked at it, the better I liked it, I just went with the distressed look. So I sanded some more off, and covered the barrel with about 20 coats of thin CA, ad 4 or 5 medium coats. I used black alumilite threaded inserts for the clicker housing and nib to screw onto.

This pen is longer than a standard kitless click. It's about the same length as a long clicker. I used a spacer between the click mechanism and the refill. It's basically the same concept that was used in the older Sierra click pens.

I didn't think of using the construction theme for the ornament. It's spalted pecan that came from a tree in my daughter's yard. Now I have to make her an ornament from another piece.:rolleyes:

lorbay

Oh man was I ever happy to get this. Bob and I chatted earlier about getting our PITH's before Christmas , told him that I was at the post box and nothing was there, this was at 4 pm. Well just before supper I saw the mail lady go by the house so I thought well maybe she was running late today, went to the mail box and there it was. Thanks so much Bob it feels great in the hand and the ornament looks great on the tree. Plus the box was jammed with blanks. Just a bit of inside info, I didn't follow the construction theme with my ornament either. Lol
Lin

BSea

Oh man was I ever happy to get this. Bob and I chatted earlier about getting our PITH's before Christmas , told him that I was at the post box and nothing was there, this was at 4 pm. Well just before supper I saw the mail lady go by the house so I thought well maybe she was running late today, went to the mail box and there it was. Thanks so much Bob it feels great in the hand and the ornament looks great on the tree. Plus the box was jammed with blanks. Just a bit of inside info, I didn't follow the construction theme with my ornament either. Lol
Lin
Well, you did buy 6 of the blanks. :wink: I can't remember how many others there were.

kingkeyman

Here's the ornament and pencil I sent to davej_07. Keeping with the construction theme, I opted for a workshop sketch pencil, painted the tubes construction orange, cut and thinned the heads of drywall screws, and casted the whole mess in PR. As far as the ornament goes, I simply filled a piece of 2" PVC pipe with alumilite white resin, then turned it on the lathe.

Attachments

• WIN_20141215_081653.jpg
    WIN_20141215_081653.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 223

Sataro

Here is the package I received from healeydays. The pen is made from some discarded wood that has had a very interesting history. The wood came from a train called the Flying Yankee. This train used to run between Massachusets, Maine, & Canada. Currently the train is being restored. Two of the blanks are Mike's honeycomb blanks. The third blank is a prickly cactus blank.

The ornament was created by Mike's granddaughter. The starfish was picked up by Mike's granddaughter while on vacation. This is an ornament that will have a special place on my tree for years to come.

A great package that will be treasured. Now I'm ready to go try those blanks out.

Really enjoyed this Dec swap...Thanks Mike...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 193

walshjp17

Here are the wonderful pens, ornament and other goodies I received from my PITH partner Darley in Australia. The Baron is wrapped in Australian Sea Snake skin and the Sierra is adorned with New Zealand Christmas Tree (metrosideros excelsa) wood. The ornament is an absolutely charming Santa Koala.

Serge also included a few blanks - can't wait to see how Banksia wood turns in relation to the Banksia pods - and a nice sized sample of the Australian Sea Snake skin.

I still have not sent my PITH to Darley (he knows) as I am still suffering from a lingering upper respiratory infection which I can't seem to shake. It will be sent as soon as I can get back into the shop.

Attachments

• AU Sea Snake Baron.jpg
    AU Sea Snake Baron.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 168
  • NZ Christmas Tree Sierra.jpg
    NZ Christmas Tree Sierra.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Darlye Dec PITH Box.jpg
    Darlye Dec PITH Box.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 196

lorbay

My Pith to Bsea

Here is my PITH to Bob (aka BSea)
In keeping with the construction theme it is a stainless steel bolt. I got this idea from SkipRat in wales he has a video tutorial on his website( thanks Skip). I have always wanted to do one of these and when this theme came out I thought it was perfect. So without further adieu here it is.

And here is his Tree ornament. The globe is maple and the finials are walnut. And the globe has 10 coats thin CA

Lin.

akingkubo

Dec Pen Swap from Buzzzz4

I received my pen and ornament from Eric (buzzzz4) yesterday evening and his ornament made it to my tree just in time to spend some time before we put down our tree today.
As you can see from the picture, he has attached an adorable picture of his kids as well!
Katie, his daughter made the Vertex Click pen out of solid surface counter top material. She did most of the turning and all of the sanding. Katie, you rock girl! You can teach me a thing or two. Her fit and finish is perfect, don't you all agree?
The ornament according to Eric is made by a good friend of theirs. Olivia, Eric's other daughter want me to have a bit of Michigan in Texas. He also added some blanks as an extra goodie!
Eric, you made my day and tears in my eyes! Thanks so much. I will cherish this forever!

Maria

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Love it, love it, love it!!!

Well Dave ( Lyonsacc) certainly outdid himself on this wonderful and very original creation!! :biggrin: I absolutely love it!! Great attention to detail too!!
This is apparently Dave's first attempt at a closed ended pen and I'm sure you will agree that he 'Nailed' it....:biggrin:

It is of course a chunk of lumber with a six inch nail stuck in it !!:biggrin:

The 'lumber stand' even has it's base and nail-hole lined to prevent any scratching of the excellent finish!

I believe the pen is Madrone Burl ( which is new to me ) and the extremely delicate little ornament is of Redwood Burl.
My wife adores homemade Christmas tree ornaments and we are glad we got a chance to hang it before the tree comes down next weekend. It will most certainly be on show every Christmas. :biggrin:

Many thanks Dave. You did a great job sticking to the plan of this PITH and it was a pleasure to have been your swap buddy !!:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF2294.JPG
    DSCF2294.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF2295.JPG
    DSCF2295.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF2297.JPG
    DSCF2297.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 134

lyonsacc

Hammer & Nail

Glad you liked it. My son and I had some fun taking pictures with both pens before sending the nail off to you.

Dave

Attachments

• 12-16-14 077 2.jpg
    12-16-14 077 2.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 12-16-14 081 2.jpg
    12-16-14 081 2.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 12-16-14 084 2.jpg
    12-16-14 084 2.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 12-16-14 089 2.jpg
    12-16-14 089 2.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 144

mjsix1

I received my PITH goodies from Todd (toddlajoie) and the items received were amazing. At first I didn't think I received a pen at all - just a really nice screwdriver. But, upon closer inspection, the screwdriver part reverses and it becomes a pen. How cool is that! The ornament was an inside-out turning made from oak and walnut, and it is beautiful. Todd claims this is his first ornament - I can only imagine what the 10th one will look like. And if that wasn't enough, I got several blanks that will turn into great pens - several woods I have never worked before. All in all, Santa - er Todd - was very good to me! The attached photos are from my iphone so sorry for the quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 138

wyone

Here are the AWESOME gifts I received from Pete275. The pen made like a wooden carpenter pencil is really creative and I love it. The ornament is VERY pretty and hardly made it out of the box before the wife had it on the tree. He thought that was not enough so he included a second pen that is also gorgeous.

I definitely got the better of the deal as what I sent him was not nearly as nice.

Thank you SO much!

Attachments

• Carpenter Pen.jpg
    Carpenter Pen.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Ballpoint Gift.jpg
    Ballpoint Gift.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Ornament.jpg
    Ornament.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 118
  • December Gift.jpg
    December Gift.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 124

jsolie

Here's the pen that I received from JeffryBrown18. After taking the pic and getting it online, I realized that the ornament didn't make it to the pic. It's a Christmas light and is very cool.

IMG_1356-L.jpg

After opening the package, my wife almost immediately claimed the pen, the ornament and one of the blanks as hers. :biggrin: :cool:

D.Oliver

Got my pen from mredburn a few days ago and it is awesome. its made from copper pipe from the hardware store. He included a polishing cloth and man d
does that thing shine up nice.
bE0aLxQ.jpg

The last picture is before I used the polishing cloth to get my finger tarnish off.

So Mike, did this little beauty come off the new lathe?

toddlajoie

I received my PITH goodies from Todd (toddlajoie) and the items received were amazing. At first I didn't think I received a pen at all - just a really nice screwdriver. But, upon closer inspection, the screwdriver part reverses and it becomes a pen. How cool is that! The ornament was an inside-out turning made from oak and walnut, and it is beautiful. Todd claims this is his first ornament - I can only imagine what the 10th one will look like. And if that wasn't enough, I got several blanks that will turn into great pens - several woods I have never worked before. All in all, Santa - er Todd - was very good to me! The attached photos are from my iphone so sorry for the quality.

I had a blast trying to get that to work (and trust me, it took several tries... I had 2 failures on the ornament, and I learned that I am an absolute slob when it comes to epoxy, which is a BAD thing when you are gluing up something that is hollow inside... Considering the construction theme, I had a hard time coming up with something, but I had always wanted to try the screwdriver kits... But I was really worried Mike would feel short-changed by not getting a pen, so i worked on how to combine to two. The pen is done by using one end of a "Teacher's Pen" kit which uses a mini-refill. I could have done it with a full slimline, but I would have had to make the handle a good bit longer and bored it out to make room for the longer pen parts. I tubed up a small piece of scrap wood and turned it down to fit inside the hex-shaft, then epoxied that in place, so that holds the transmission so the twist works. Using the tube and blank from the Teacher's pen, I turned it to transition from the nib hardware to the screwdriver shaft, and turned a tenon so that it fits into the hex shaft.

I ran VERY late due to several failures (mostly from trying to work too fast...) so when I finally got it done, I shipped it out right away and did not have time to take photos before it went out. Thanks Mike for taking the photos and posting!!!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks Bob, but I can't take the credit. It was all the great pens and ornaments made by everyone that made this such a great event. All I did was wave the flag to get the race started.

Don't be so modest, Dereka.....everyone knows that nobody comes to the race unless there is a hot chick waving the start flag!!!!:wink:

But yes, this has got to be at the top of the list for most successful Swaps. :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This was a great PITH swap. Thanks for hosting this Derek!!

I agree with Bob! Thanks Derek.

And speaking as one of the "Less seasoned" turners... It is a privledge to participate in these events with those we admire, appreciate and aspire to.

Our boundaries get pushed, we achieve and learn more that we thought, and it is fun to have a connection to someone new!

Happy New Years Eve!

Lance

Thanks Derek

Thanks to all the Artisians who produced their Art thru their pens. Seeing all the Outstanding creations Inspires nyophites like myself to reach further. I thought my copper wire pen was something until I saw all the others, I was humbled. Thanks for allowing me to participate. Thanks Derek for all of your leadership, and your hard work.

D.Oliver

Here are the photos of the pens and ornament I sent Ed (parklandturner).
Pens and Ornament.jpg
Ed's Pens.jpg
Plywood Ornament.jpg

The pens are both made from the common construction materials of plywood and hardboard (aka masonite). The ornament is also made from those same materials with the addition of some pine. There ornament design is supposed to be a snowflake.

Last edited:

glenspens

got mine

My pen and ornament w/blanks from David (chinadad). David said he starter turning in march 2014, wish my stuff looked this good after turning only 9 mo. I got my pith stuff on time just late with the post :eek: . Pen=2x4,wall receptacle and copper wire from the construction of there house. :cool:
Ornament =heart pine, cherry, and walnut .
Thanks David

Attachments

• DSCN5115.JPG
    DSCN5115.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN5119.JPG
    DSCN5119.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN5114.JPG
    DSCN5114.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 114

Wraith

What I made for Ladycop322

Pen is Oak Handle with Gibbon for the hammer head. The ornament is Yellow Heart Star and Red Heart, Yellow Heart and Wenge Cardinal.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 131
  • ConstructionPen.jpg
    ConstructionPen.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Ornament.jpg
    Ornament.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 126