Dec. Pen Swap Pairings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

So I'm going to start working on my pen for Ed. I'm thinking about doing something similiar to my pen I entered in the Summer Extravaganza Kitless contest (Pen 4 in the following thread). Anyone have a refill that found on a construction site? It doesn't have to be Private Reserve.:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

So I'm going to start working on my pen for Ed. I'm thinking about doing something similiar to my pen I entered in the Summer Extravaganza Kitless contest (Pen 4 in the following thread). Anyone have a refill that found on a construction site? It doesn't have to be Private Reserve.:biggrin:

Something like your summer extravaganza creation would be a big step up from what I'm expecting. I thought I overheard you earlier say something about a 2x4 stud chunk from a demo job with the guts from a bic stuffed in a nail hole. :eek:

Ed

D.Oliver

Something like your summer extravaganza creation would be a big step up from what I'm expecting. I thought I overheard you earlier say something about a 2x4 stud chunk from a demo job with the guts from a bic stuffed in a nail hole. :eek:

Ed

That's a great idea. So you do want a black bic refill or a blue one?

Ed McDonnell

So I'm going to start working on my pen for Ed. I'm thinking about doing something WAY BETTER THAN my pen I entered in the Summer Extravaganza Kitless contest (Pen 4 in the following thread). Anyone have gold plumbing fixtures they found on a construction site? It doesn't have to be solid gold, but it would be better if it was.:biggrin:

Something like your summer extravaganza creation would be a big step up from what I was originally expecting. I thought I overheard you say something about a solid gold bar from one of your bank jobs, with the guts from a bic stuffed in a hole. :biggrin:

Ed

That's a great idea. So you do want a black bic refill or a blue one?

I'm glad you liked the gold bar idea!! I think blue would be really nice and go well with the gold.

Ed

D.Oliver

You know how you folks are always giving me a hard time that I never make anything... You might be on to something. I went to epoxy my tubes in and my epoxy had solidified, so I thought "No big deal, I'll just use CA." It was hard as a rock too!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You know how you folks are always giving me a hard time that I never make anything... You might be on to something. I went to epoxy my tubes in and my epoxy had solidified, so I thought "No big deal, I'll just use CA." It was hard as a rock too!

I had a similar problem - I had to throw away 3 bottles of CA recently. I'm now using the Fast Cap 2P-10 brand which is supposed to have a 2 year shelf life. Sure hope so because it takes me that long to use a bottle.

Ed McDonnell

Hmmmmmm.....I guess I should be glad that you didn't wait until Dec 20 to start.......or that you at least decided to start this year. :biggrin: I had noticed that you were clever enough to not include a "year" in the dates for this contest so, technically, you would never be late in sending it. :rolleyes:

Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Finally finished my pith projects for Ed (Parklandturner).
His package will go out in tomorrow's mail.

WooHoo!! :)

Looking forward to it Edgar.

Ed

The filler will probably be more exciting than the pens.
You did say that you needed some fresh kitty litter, didn't you - or was that someone else?

Ed McDonnell

The filler will probably be more exciting than the pens.
You did say that you needed some fresh kitty litter, didn't you - or was that someone else?

Well....as long as it is FRESH. I hate it when I get a box of used kitty litter (don't get any ideas Derek...and no Buffalo by-products either!!).

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Don't worry Edgar, I got your back. I'm going to send him a pen that will make you look like a pen making rock star!

Derek - There is no doubt that the pen you send will be super special.
The first and only of something is always special :biggrin: ....assuming you actually make the pen you send.

At least I will be pretty sure you didn't buy it at the local office or art supply store because I think the nearest store of any kind is a couple hundred miles away from where you live and I bet all the roads in your area have already shut down until the spring thaw. Which raises the question of how you will get the pen to me. Snow mobile maybe??....nah...dog sled!!!, that's the ticket!!

Looking forward to it. :)

Ed

jsolie

I finished my stuff up the other day. It should have been delivered this afternoon (assuming that the USPS tracking info is correct).

I have a photo of the pen, but not of the ornament. Let's just say I'm a better bowl turner than a spindle turner, though pens come out okay. Sometimes.

Derek, I nearly used up the last of some epoxy I had to buy from the hardware store. It was getting kind of obstinate at the end there. I still have a little bit and can send it your way if you want. It might freeze en-route as this is SoCal epoxy. :biggrin: :rolleyes: :wink:

D.Oliver

Thanks for the offer John. I already ventured down to the hardware store and bought some epoxy. Who knows I might even try to use it up before it goes solid!

toddlajoie

My box for Mike (mjsix1) is going to be going out under the wire (have the ornament done after at least 3 attempts... Still have to finish the pen up, and hope it works when all is said and done...) but since I just posted photos of what he sent me over in the photos thread, I figured I would post a teaser here now that I have a "process" photo of something that finally survived the "process"...

attachment.php

You can't see any of the actual ornament material, but it is in there somewhere, and some of the scrap blocks you see are closely related to what is in there...

Attachments

• Glueup.jpg
    Glueup.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 169

BSea

Well, I'm glad to report my package is at the Post Office. This one was a real challenge. I'm not to sure about the pen. But I'm pretty sure about the ornament.

I'm pretty sure it's bad. :frown: :rolleyes: But I did learn a few things.

Lesson 1: Ornaments are harder than bottle stoppers.
Lesson 2: PR gets hot and deforms if you try to make delicate spindles.
Lesson 3: Start earlier (I'm pretty sure I should know this by now though)

Actually, the ornament isn't all that bad. My daughter wanted it. So I guess I'll make another one for her. It was really fun making the ornament.

Hope you like everything Lin.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
USPS Priority Mail 2-day service doesn't mean much this time of year :rolleyes:

Ed's package was picked up by our local mail carrier here in Sugar Land, TX about 1 pm on Monday and it finally arrived in Opa Locka, FL at 7:23 this morning. Hopefully it will be delivered today or tomorrow.

Ed McDonnell

Hi Edgar - Opa Locka this AM probably means, in a perfect world, it will find its way north to my local post office today and me tomorrow. In the real world, who knows? :rolleyes: Could be today or it could be next week. The week before Christmas is a tough time to ship.

Looking forward to it!

Ed

Update: Mail just delivered and nothing from TX. Maybe tomorrow (Friday).

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Special delivery from Edgar (edohmann) in Texas arrived today. It was a small flat rate box with my PITH pens / ornament tucked in a LARGE flat rate box filled with all sorts of goodies. A big bag of pecans freshly harvested from one of his farms, a big can of trail mix (featuring fresh ranch grown pecans) and some Texas wood blanks. I feel like I hit the lotto!!

The pen, shop pencil and ornament are very nice. If Edgar doesn't post pictures I'll take some this weekend and post them to the picture thread.

Thanks Edgar.

Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Special delivery from Edgar (edohmann) in Texas arrived today. It was a small flat rate box with my PITH pens / ornament tucked in a LARGE flat rate box filled with all sorts of goodies. A big bag of pecans freshly harvested from one of his farms, a big can of trail mix (featuring fresh ranch grown pecans) and some Texas wood blanks. I feel like I hit the lotto!!

The pen, shop pencil and ornament are very nice. If Edgar doesn't post pictures I'll take some this weekend and post them to the picture thread.

Thanks Edgar.

Ed

Thanks Ed,
Glad to hear the package arrived.
I'll post some quick photos of the pens & ornament, but you can post additional photos later if you like - I didn't shoot any photos of the filler.

Merry Christmas
Edgar

Top Bottom