Deal or dud?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talfalfa33

Hey guys, and gals, just picked up this shopsmith for $175 and needs a little work but everything works. So what do you think?

Attachments

• image-1785836557.jpg
    image-1785836557.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 467
  • image-473108048.jpg
    image-473108048.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 516
  • image-2926564544.jpg
    image-2926564544.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 464
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

If it works it is a great deal!
Just make sure the tubes are not bent and that they aren't rusty.
Run the motor thru all the speeds and see if they are smooth.
If you can get the owner's manual, that is a real plus.
I'd buy it just for a second one for that price.
My Mark V is 35 years old and works fine.
Do they have any extras with it - bandsaw, belt sander,jointer, etc?
Good luck,
gordon

lorbay

I always wanted one of those as a young lad, they were the Cadillac in their day.
Cool buy.
Lin

navycop

Sweet deal. I paid a couple hundred for mine back in 1997 and I didn't get half the stuff you did. Hit up the Shopsmith forum if you have any problems..

Last edited:

Talfalfa33

Thanks for the info, planning on rebuilding it and getting hold of shopsmith for the paint formula for that year.

tomas

Definitely a good deal. I have had mine for 24 years and still love it. I built a shelf that is mounted below the tubes that is mounted to the legs. It is great for keeping the accessories, blades, push sticks, etc. close at hand.

Tomas

Priusjames

Nice deal on a "Greenie" and accessories! I have a couple of those in pieces in the shed, did some deals and swaps over a few months to upgrade my model 500 (like yours) to a full-fledged 520...the heart of my woodshop.

Parts from any Mk V model from any year are completely interchangeable, craigslist and eBay are often chock-full of parts/accessories. A (really decent) Shopsmith bandsaw can be as low as $100 used, much more for a new one.

I remember turning bowls and making all kinds of stuff on my grandfathers Greenie from about 11 years old...didn't seem dangerous to operate by myself at the time, and I was never injured. Can't remember having problems switching from drill press to lathe (etc.), it was just something that had to be done. 40+ years later, I'm still in love with Shopsmith.

Careful...there's a lot of neat stuff for SS that takes up a lot of room!

Congrats on a very good deal for a very versatile tool.

Mr Vic

Looks good...

Turned my first pen on a shopsmith I bought in the mid '90s at the state fair...Paid full boat but still use it...

Keep the bandsaw mounted most of the time. Using a Jet 1014vs for pens now...

It's a bit low and noisy to use the lathe for extened periods. If you plan to use a lot for turning make some riser blocks to get the centers to about elbow level...It will save the back...

Top Bottom