Dead Center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

Just decided I was interested in the new technique of turning between centers that has been getting so much play recently. I didn't want to pay $7 shipping for a $3 item or wait a long time for the package when the PO is so slow at this time of year so I decided to make my own. Probably won't last forever; but it should do for one or two experiments so I can evaluate the process.

The Concept</u>
2007121621426_Drawing.jpg

The Blank</u>
200712162150_Blank.jpg

The Set-Up</u>
2007121621529_Partially%20Turned.jpg

Turning Finished</u>
2007121621638_Finished%20Turning.jpg

Ready To Use</u>
2007121621229_Completed%20Dead%20Center.jpg

Actual work on the blank and turning time was about 15 minutes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I turn my own morse tapers for making mini's, and have found that nothing works better then Maple does. Every other wood I have made them from will warp the tiniest bit, a 1/32" is a lot when your bowl or vase is 1" high,LOL. This is just a suggestion to make one from maple and then try your experiments so you will get the best results possible. Good Luck keep use posted, Victor

leehljp

Member Liaison
Randy,

How well does it true up for driving. I tried softwood on a couple of things (key chuck and lathe chuck) and learned that softwood takes a delicate touch that is almost beyond me.
[B)]

I can see that you are wise enough to know that it would probably be good for one or two experiments only.

Randy_

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />Randy,

How well does it true up for driving. I tried softwood on a couple of things (key chuck and lathe chuck) and learned that softwood takes a delicate touch that is almost beyond me.....

I was going to put a dial gauge on it to see how accurate it was; but didn't have time. It looks and feels very good. I suspect it is going to be more than accurate enough to do a good job turning.

Randy_

Mark: Here is the promised picture. Sadly, the quality is not great. I was fooling around with the spot meter and apparently messed up the exposure a little. I think you can see what you need to see; but if you want a better picture, I'll set-up for another one tomorrow.

2007121845718_DC%20In%20Use.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom