Dash Cams

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Has anyone here installed an aftermarket dash cam in their vehicle and if so what brand and do you like it??? Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, I have had 4 or 5 dash cam's in my vehicles and I did think that I could save myself good money and get some of these cheap Chinese cam's but half of them never work right from day one and other didn't last more than a few weeks, making to whole issue of feeling "safer" by having a dash-cam thrown out the door because they are not reliable and can't be trusted to do what they were suppose to do when you really need them.

AT the end of last year, I got a new one which I thought was quite OK, some reviews were OK but, I had all sorts of troubles with it and I believe I should have sent if back for replacement 4 times withing the next few months.

I did try an upgrade to a better one but this fellow wouldn't barge but after a few months of backs and forwards, he finally accepted an upgrade and he made an interesting comment about the possible replacement to be made and that was that, he would only accept putting the cost of that failing camera into a particular camera that he said, would be the only one he would trust and they are not made by the same people.

These cameras are obviously more expensive but I was OK with that, I just wanted something I could mount in the vehicle, would turn on and record as soon the engine is turned on and stay like that until the care is stopped so the cameras in question are the Dash Camera DOD LS460W Sony Exmor Sensor GPS 1080P Dashcam IN CAR CAM Crashcam | eBay

It has not failed once since I got it about 3 months or so ago...!

Would I recommend it? yes I would.

Cheers
George

Akula

I got one of these, either off ebay or tanga, don't remember it's been a few years.

Cam works great, very surprised at the quality, even at night.

Only issue is over time the flip portion is kinda loose (not an issue since it hangs upside down on the windshield). I have not looked at it to see if I can tighten (there are some screws). We play with it all the time out of the vehicle. I have some other ir lights we use with it and it will light up a room (on the cam, not what you can actually see at the time).

It plugs straight into the computer and you can download the videos. It also records audio but not sure if that is a factor if you plan to use it only in a vehicle.

It came with all the cords/connections to either plug into the vehicle to start recording when the vehicle is started or you can use the buttons to start recording. Like I said, we walk around with it at home for a night vision camera.

I doubt I paid over $20 for it at the time. I might have just got lucky.

You can catch some crazy stuff

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 88

campzeke

John, I did quite a bit of research on these earlier this year and ended up buying a Black Box G1W-C. This camera in sold in at least 2 different models under several different names. One of the most important things to look at is how is the camera powered. Many are powered by an internal lithium battery. Others are powered from an internal capacitor charged by a cable connected through the cameras USB port. I recommend the capacitor model because it is more tolerant of the heat you get inside a locked car. On several of the forums I read, the heat causes the batteries to fail which in turn kills the camera. The trade off is the camera will only operate while the ignition is on and will not work as any type of security camera as some of the battery powered units will. As I mentioned I did quite a bit of research and found very little useable difference between many of the higher priced cameras and the $60 camera I use. Most of the dash cams out there come from china and most are a little cheesy on fit and finish. Mine is no exception but for the $60 it works great. The features and controls are not the easiest to use but once it is set up you just forget about it. Hang on to the cheesy manual because you will need it to review the video without a computer if you ever need to. As for video quality, I am completely satisfied with the Black Box camera in both day and night modes. I also purchased a clamp on mirror mount on Ebay for about $4 shipped. Hope this helps a little. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom