Damascus Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

A co-worker of mine and I are considering whether to attempt making damascus steel pen blanks in some of the higher end component sets. Sets such as Emperor and Statesman(full size and Jr) He is a very skilled maker of damascus for knives we are looking for the next venture. Possibly in several different patterns.

What price range would folks be willing to pay?

How many would be interested in something like this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A co-worker of mine and I are considering whether to attempt making damascus steel pen blanks in some of the higher end component sets. Sets such as Emperor and Statesman(full size and Jr) He is a very skilled maker of damascus for knives we are looking for the next venture. Possibly in several different patterns.

What price range would folks be willing to pay?

How many would be interested in something like this?
You might need to add a poll to get feedback on the issue. Suggesting patterns and probable prices.

yort81

Also may want to indicate HOW someone would TURN Damascus.

I know it is possible, I would start with a file, but what is the "preferred" method??

I would assume they would turn it on a Metal lathe... and then acid wash it to have the pattern show....

As for Prices.... Depending on the kit and such, you will hear what ever the market will bear. My best guess is, that is such a high end pen between $500 and $800.

edstreet

Uhm first off I know a master smith who made several damascus pens and his finished prices is $200-$300. But this is one method but may not be the best.
Damascus Writing Pens

Second truth be known the best setup to do damascus would be this. There is a very old ancient technique called a mandrel and it has been done for centuries with damascus steel. Allow me to demonstrate.
damascus-barrel-demonstration.jpg

triw51

Uhm first off I know a master smith who made several damascus pens and his finished prices is $200-$300. But this is one method but may not be the best.
Damascus Writing Pens

Second truth be known the best setup to do damascus would be this. There is a very old ancient technique called a mandrel and it has been done for centuries with damascus steel. Allow me to demonstrate.
damascus-barrel-demonstration.jpg

Ed: That was how they made Damascus shot gun barrels. If you tried this for a pen it would be very labor intensive and the price would be out of this world. It is easier to take a 3/4" piece of damsacus and drill then turn on a metal lathe. The older timers who turned metal like this had a small grinder attached to their lathe instead of a cutter.

Last edited:

edstreet

Ed: That was how they made Damascus shot gun barrels. If you tried this for a pen it would be very labor intensive and the price would be out of this world. It is easier to take a 3/4" piece of damsacus and drill then turn on a metal lathe. The older timers who turned metal like this had a small grinder attached to their lathe instead of a cutter.

That is a very good point that I had not considered.

Top Bottom