Damascus blade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

Here is a blade I made for a fellow pen turner larry. Not sure which wood he used (Larry give us a shout and tell us about the wood). The blade is 144 layers of 1095 and L6 which came from a band saw blade used in a saw mill. It was hammered and folded several times. I am not sure why but can not get the pictures large enough to really show the pattern.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• William's Blade 4.jpg
    William's Blade 4.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 418
  • William's Blade 3.jpg
    William's Blade 3.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnhenry

Here is a blade I made for a fellow pen turner larry. Not sure which wood he used (Larry give us a shout and tell us about the wood). The blade is 144 layers of 1095 and L6 which came from a band saw blade used in a saw mill. It was hammered and folded several times. I am not sure why but can not get the pictures large enough to really show the pattern.

Thanks for looking

How do get the metal clean enough to weld together? I tried a few times to weld old ships chain with annealed tool steel using oxalic acid but the layers seperated during heat-terating.

triw51

Thanks for looking

How do get the metal clean enough to weld together? I tried a few times to weld old ships chain with annealed tool steel using oxalic acid but the layers seperated during heat-terating.

John:
1) I clean the surfaces with a grinder to bare metal.

2)Then I stack the pieces (in this case the band saw blade and 1095) in alternating layers and tack weld togeather. I also weld on a metal handle so I can work with the piece easier.

3) I heat in a forge until a little red starts to show then flux with borax. Heat to welding heat (bright lemon yellow and the flux dances on the metal) then I put in a vice and tighten the layers togeather, this causes the heat on the outside to be sucked up by the jaws of the vice but not inside so you know the inside will be at the same heat when you reheat. This also forces the layers togeather and elimates any air spaces.

4) When the out side is black I reflux and heat again to welding heat and hammer solid, I do step atleast 3 times dependng on the size of the piece.
I hammer out the piece then cut it into 3 or 4 pieces and restack. Then start over until I have the number of layers desired.

Now you know why damascus is so expensive. I attached a few pictures of a chainsaw chain I did.

Donovan

I really like Damascus steel blades but I have no time to make them, so I bought some from Alabama Damascus. They are beautiful. I have bought 7 from them so far

Donovan

Russknan

Very nice! Could you please show what the chainsaw blade looked like in the end? Neat idea! Russ

The knife on the bottom has the blade made from a chainsaw chain. Elk antler handle and cast pewter bolster. One of my earlier knives so not as refined as others.

I'm not USUALLY a man of few words, unfortunately. But this one knife has always attracted me. And no one could ever believe that it was made out of a chainsaw chain. So here's the word: WOW!

Thanks,
Russ

Top Bottom