Damaged Jr Gent II coupling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

Some time ago I damaged the black plastic coupling that goes into the short upper barrel of the Jr. Gent II. Failing to obtain a replacement through the kit supplier, I have been looking for another kit that uses the same coupling, but would be cheaper to cannibalize. My research shows the Panache uses the same tube size and the coupling appears to be the same in the instruction sheet illustrations. Is there anyone that has both kits and can do a side-to-side comparison of each to confirm this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

Not sure which supplier you prefer, but isn't Craft Supplies 10K gold JGII the same price ($10.95) as 10K Panache? Exotics offers a 10K non-postable JGII for $9.95, too, and, IIRC, cap couplers are the same for both postable/non-postable.

I used the rollerball nib from a rhodium JGII kit on a convertable RB/fountain JSII pen for a customer so I have an extra JGII coupler you can have if you'll PM your address. I've had some problems with "stiff" threading on some JGII couplers and this is one of them so may not be much help to you. Strangely, some JGII RB nibs thread in smoothly so you may get lucky.

Photo of coupler you can have if you want it....

Attachments

• IMG_9005.JPG
    IMG_9005.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 118

Bobalu

Not sure which supplier you prefer, but isn't Craft Supplies 10K gold JGII the same price ($10.95) as 10K Panache? Exotics offers a 10K non-postable JGII for $9.95, too, and, IIRC, cap couplers are the same for both postable/non-postable.

Thanks. I either didn't check Craft Supplies or only compared tube size against their Apprentice version, which is smaller. I won't ask you to part with your spare coupler. You may need it yourself someday, but thanks for the offer.

Parson

Call CSUSA and they'll sell you just the coupler for a couple of bucks.

BTW, I've married a panache top with a Jr. gents II base for a new design. They're identical.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A word of advice (I hope NOT to sound "preachy"):

When the Jr. Gent comes to you, the cap centerband is threaded fully onto the nib---so we KNOW it fits, before we try to assemble it.

I suspect these are getting "squished" because they fit so tightly into the tube (to make the cap). So, please be sure you have NO glue in the cap, before pressing in the coupler!!! Another possibility would be to sand or file (or gun brush) the inside of the tube so the fit is not so tight. Then, put a little Loctite on the outside of the black "thread" piece.

I assemble with a one ton arbor press---the pieces WILL go together, I have the POWER!!!!! But, this could compress the black piece and make the upper threads useless---so it will turn the full turn onto the finial, but will NOT turn the TWO full turns onto the nib.

As I tell copier repairmen that work for me---it worked when you arrived, it doesn't work now---what happened to make it STOP working!!

The above is my "guess", backed up by my own mistakes.

FWIW!!

Top Bottom