cyclone dust collector for general vacuuming?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioso

hello fellow members, had a question which is not really related to penturning but I was hoping to get your input on it.

I'm looking to buy a cyclone all-in-one type dust collector, this one to be exact:
Power Tools, Woodworking and Metalworking Machines by King Canada,

I've never seen this machine in person, but I found it online sold by different vendors, all probably made by the same Taiwanese manufacturer.

the thing is that I plan to use it as a vacuum cleaner, wheeling it around to clean our factory:

At our factory we often need to do some proper cleaning, which include picking up lots of plastic pellets from the floor, plastic chips, and general dust (not just a light dusting: this is black thick dust that over a few months sticks to the metal beams and under all the machines...).
We had always used shop-vacs, but they are just not powerful enough for our industrial environment, clogging too often, losing power over time and breaking every few months.

using the search tool I see that everybody is happy with dust deputies cyclones and such, but I was wondering if these dust collectors are different? and how good would they be for vacuum cleaning?

-noise is not a factor
-BTW, here it would cost me 1299 delivered.

sorry for the long post, thanks for the input!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

brownsfn2

That unit looks exactly like the 2HP Laguna Cyclone I have. I did buy a floor wand for it to sweep up. My shop is small so I just use a long hose. It does sweep well.

Please note that the specs on this cyclone are not accurate. You should look at the lates cyclone reviews from Wood Magazine. I don't have any problems in my small basement shop but Wood rated it low.

It is very quiet though. I think that part is accurate.

What price are they quoting?

BigE

You would likely be money ahead and less frustrated if you built a Thien separator for your shop vacs. To finish it off, add a bag to your shop vac. Shop vacs are better suited for what you are doing and will pick up more dust.

A dust collector has higher CFM, but a shop vac has higher air speed. If you were picking up mainly wood chips, it's a different story and my recommendation would be reversed.

rherrell

I have an Oneida system piped into my shop and I have a loooooong hose that I use for vacuuming the floor and it works really well, I say go for it!

studioso

thanks for the advice.
price quoted was 1299 canadian dollars, today that's about 1172 Usd.

I think I found the article in wood magazine online (on the oneida web site). thanks.

A dust collector has higher CFM, but a shop vac has higher air speed
bigE, aren't the 2 numbers related? I would think that air speed is CFM tied to a hose diameter... and I can only assume that if I was to hook up a 2" hose to a big 2HP cyclone collector I'd get better air speed than a shop vac... or not?

Curly

I'm of the opinion that you should be looking at a real industrial vacuum designed for the work. Vac-U-Max have machines smaller, the same size and much bigger than what you are contemplating. You have the health and safety and liabilities of employees to consider and a "get by" solution is often not the answer in the long run.

I have no connection with Vac-U-Max.

Jvrichards

I had great success with the oneida dust deputy on a shop vacation before upgrading recently to the vortex jet model on sale. If you are talking about very small light weight plastic pellets I think it would be more than adequate. But, try the dust deputy first before the larger investment. It makes a world of difference in shop vac life span.

BigE

studioso said:
bigE, aren't the 2 numbers related? I would think that air speed is CFM tied to a hose diameter... and I can only assume that if I was to hook up a 2" hose to a big 2HP cyclone collector I'd get better air speed than a shop vac... or not?

The numbers are related, but you'll always get higher air speed on the shop vac using the same size hose (assuming the filter is clean, etc). I'm not an expert, but I believe it has something to do with the static pressure that each can draw.

Top Bottom