Cyanoacrylate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goober

Hey, Why didn't you guys tell me that I was supposed to wear gloves when you are using CA? I have made a grand total of seven pens so far. The eighth one is going to be a corn cob pen. That is, if I can get the #$%^%&% cob off of my finger, It's been stuck there for three days now.......[:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

That's a part of the learning curve. Just wait till you find out that the glove you had on has a hole in it. Of course you don't discover this UNTIL you no longer can move your finger.

Paul in AR

JimGo

The best part about wearing gloves is that when the rag/paper towel you're using to apply your CA finish is saturated with CA and the CA starts to cure, and begins to burn your hand, at least the paper towel will only be stuck to the glove and you can get it off fairly quickly. Well, OK, in deferance to Paul's comment about the inevetable hole, at least the burning rag will only be stuck to a relatively small portion of your finger, rather than your entire fingertip.

Gary Max

I am sure that I just read a tread about having Acetone placed in key loctions within reach at all times. Wait till you glue yourself to a machine.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I remember reading somewhere that someone was turning barefoot. He ended up gluing his feet to the concrete floor..... and his acetone was just out of reach.
(and no, it wasn't me).

angboy

Originally posted by Monty
<br />I remember reading somewhere that someone was turning barefoot. He ended up gluing his feet to the concrete floor..... and his acetone was just out of reach.
(and no, it wasn't me).

Sure it wasn't you... that's what they always say... a "friend"- yeah right! [:D][:D]

toolcrazy

Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />Gloves?? GLOVES??? You don't need no stinking gloves! [;)]

Yep, I agree. [;)]

Actually, I use gloves when I apply CA finish. But glueing the tubes, I'm done before I think to grab some. And believe it or not, I still have my finger tips. [:D]

&lt;edit&gt;I can't spell either&lt;/edit&gt;

JimGo

I put on gloves the minute I walk into my shop, otherwise my fingers are glued together pretty shortly thereafter. I have my fingertips too...but I don't always have all the feeling in them!

Jerryconn

You HAVE to be careful and not scratch and itch somewhere when working with CA. [:D] And yes I have glued my fingers to a blank when appling the finish while on the lathe [:0](not turning [:D]), acetone works good on getting things un-stuck, including the finish on the blank.

I all seriousness I actually put my finger inside one of the little plastic bags that the pen parts come in to apply the CA.

clthayer

I usually feel the heat at the same time I notice that the paper towel is glued to the glove which is now glued to my finger[B)]

This reminds me about the post awhile ago where the guy stuck the pen under his arm when it was covered in ca. I think there was a pic of the pen and there were nails sticking out of it too.

Christian

tnilmerl

I swear Mannie (a.k.a. monty) must be watching me in my shop from afar. How else would he know I've glue my bare feet tot he floor? But it wasn't to the concrete. It was to the rubber mat. The one wiith a hole in it now.

Now I remove the CA glue cap from the bottle before I cut it open. Some lessons are eaiser to learn that others.

Before I learned about the acetone fix... I did glue my shoe to the concrete floor.. I dripped and then stepped into the glue... wound up with a hole in my nike's.
Now I pull the garbage can under where I'm gluing the tubes in and let the drips fall into the can. Haven't actually glued my fingers to a blank YET, but have gotten close.

stevers

Am I not using enough CA to glue my blanks? I don't have it dripping off onto the floor when I glue my tubes in. Should they be soaked and dripping?
Oh, and you should have seen me trying to get the segmented blank off my fingers when I glued up the first one. Or maybe the second, cant remember for sure.

Dario

I only wear gloves when gluing tubes but I use GG.

CA is used while finishing and I had 2 incidents where the dang paper CA soaked towel flipped and stuck on my fingers. The heat is so much that I had instant blisters! [xx(]. Most difficult part is you can't do anything and have to wait until it cools down before you can try to peel it off. One had me jumping for minutes...it stuck on the part just above the finger nail....super painful! I still don't wear gloves...maybe another incident and I will learn to LOL [:D]

DocStram

Reminds me of a certain story involving a certain highly respected IAP member ....... involving a young kid ... a newly made blow gun ... fresh CA ..... and a pair of lips. Remember who I'm talking about it? Go read "Behind the Lathe".

http://content.penturners.org/BTL/BTL_JamesMann.pdf

C. Scott

We need to rename this thread. "Glue Mishaps" [;)]

Here's mine.

I was in a hurry (1st sign of impending disaster) and I was ready to apply the first coat of CA. Well the bottle tip had some "issues" and I didn't have time to clean up the end of the tip so I just clipped off and made a bigger hole. More is better! right? Well, as I applied the CA, it flowed rather well out of the hole onto the blank and into my paper towel and on my index and middle finger. I immediately "felt" the CA getting a little warm, but I couldn't stop applying the finish, I mean the pen comes first! right? Anyway, I thought, it'll only be one more second and then I'll stop and seperate my fingers and I'll be fine. NO! I stop not 2 seconds after I get clue on my fingers and they are stuck together. Oh great! Well as any veteran pen grinder would do I reach for the Acetone and a coffee can and I soak my right hand for a few minutes until the CA softens, the whole time asking God to please help me. My wife comes out and says "what are you doing?" [:I]
My fingers do separate and the world returns to normal. I learned a lesson:

<b>When you DON'T want CA to cure quick it DOES and vice versa when you DO.</b> [B)]

DocRon

I was applying CA for the first steps of a finish, where I was using 150 grit wet with the CA, The stuff cured, stuck to the latex glove,and suddenly, there was the glove spinning around the lathe. Fortunately, it also pulled it off my hand.

csb333

I work on the sewer pumps that I sell sometimes, so I keep a box of 100 disposable rubber gloves around all the time. There great for the CA too, as MartyB has already said. Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom