cutting tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

OK I finally got my qrtp in and got to make some mods for it to fit. But I was wondering which set of cutting tools I need to get. So any help for me since I learning this metal lathe is welcome. Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Here is a decent deal for carbide 1/2":
LittleMachineShop.com - Special of the Week

For cut off tools, HSS and they can be found at Wholesale Tool, Enco. Grainger. At LMS here is one that is fine and if you order the carbide then the shipping would not change if you order this.
LittleMachineShop.com - Cut-Off Blade, P1X=
or this
LittleMachineShop.com - Cut-Off Blade, P1N=
and this
LittleMachineShop.com - Cut-Off Blade, P1=

The cut-off blades can be carbon tipped to but the price is nutz and not worth it for what we do.

frank123

Try using 10% Cobalt tool steel bits.

Easier to grind and maintain than carbide, significantly tougher (against chipping), long wearing and heat resistant and will pretty much cut anything with ease that carbide will cut.

And you don't need a green wheel to grind them, a regular wheel will work fine.

okiebugg

Easier to grind and maintain than carbide, significantly tougher (against chipping), long wearing and heat resistant and will pretty much cut anything with ease that carbide will cut.

IPD and others: My new metal mini seems to have a problem I cannot solve. It's new (2 weeks).

It appears to me that the X/Y table tips up and down perceptably when cutting mild steel 1/2 rod longitudinaly to the ways. It seems to happen going in one direction more than the other
Everything (Bolts, screws etc.) are tight. Adjustments?

Also in the forward/reverse portion of in the back of the headstock, the forward gear noise is minimal, but change directions (down) on the shifter, the gears are clattering some when going away from the headstock

What should I do?

Last edited:

bluwolf

Frank, where do you find those 10% cobalt bits? The closest I've seen is A.R. Warner's T15 HSS inserts. And do they come in like CNMG or DCMT/DCGT styles?

Mike

frank123

Frank, where do you find those 10% cobalt bits? The closest I've seen is A.R. Warner's T15 HSS inserts. And do they come in like CNMG or DCMT/DCGT styles?

Mike

Most machine shop and tool suppliers will have them, Travers, Enco, Mcmaster, local supply houses, etc.

I bought mine from Enco and a (former since it closed) local machine shop supply house, I think the 10% is called the M35 grade.

Lower cobalt content grades are available as well, but I've just used the 10% stuff since that's what I ordered the first time and I haven't needed to buy more so far.

(sorry it took a while to reply, I get busy this time of year)

I should add, they're just square tool bits, not inserts. You can probably find inserts from this material but HSS inserts are exorbitantly expensive for what you get and aren't any real advantage to the hobbyist instead of just grinding your own point shape on a square tool bit.

Last edited:

okiebugg

what.........

Mike

Most machine shop and tool suppliers will have them, Travers, Enco, Mcmaster, local supply houses, etc.

I bought mine from Enco and a (former since it closed) local machine shop supply house, I think the 10% is called the M35 grade.

Lower cobalt content grades are available as well, but I've just used the 10% stuff since that's what I ordered the first time and I haven't needed to buy more so far.

I should add, they're just square tool bits, not inserts. You can probably find inserts from this material but HSS inserts are exorbitantly expensive for what you get and aren't any real advantage to the hobbyist instead of just grinding your own point shape on a square tool bit.

What about cost to the lathe owner? If the 10% cobalt is the answer, I would proceed to devise some type of holder to use them in wood turning also.

bluwolf

Mike

Thanks for that Frank. Yes, I have some of those. I started out using those but have since gone to inserts. Mostly because I am too lazy to sharpen them. And yes, the HSS inserts seem to be quite expensive.

Mike

Top Bottom