cutting tenons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queso

The american style pens I turn have to be cut down to the tube instead of having a tenon cut. I had a hard time with the blanks splitting when I was using a parting tool for this. I found I had better luck when I used the parting tool to just mark the size of the cut (1/8") and then actually made the cut with a skew.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Have not had that problem, have always used parting tool to the tube. However, also have learned to cut about 5-10 degrees INTO the blank so there is room for the glue to settle when a center ring is added. Less cleaning of the blank (especially plastic that reacts to the cleaner).

Doghouse

I made a parting tool from an old 3/4" bandsaw blade. It is very fine so you can make any cut you want. Just cut a section from an old band saw blade, then sandwich it between 2 pieces of wood. Grind a new tip angled tip and you are ready to cut. remember to not try to make the whole thing in one cut. Make a series of cuts next to each other slowly bring down to the final depth.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I use the Stott Narrow Parting Tool (1/16" wide and have never had a problem with blanks splitting... you just have to remember not to try to go to the tube on the first pass.. make successive cuts side to side until you get to the tube...
166-0350.jpg

vick

I mark the tendon with a skew by holding it vertical and bringing the tip down. This helps eliminate chipping where the tendon is cut. The use a parting tool to cut the tendon. On the CSU americana rollerball you go all the way to the tube, on the double twist ball point you cut an actual tendon.

ryannmphs

Tom, I made a parting tool like yours. I had a blade break on my sawz-all (broke where it conneded to the saw). I used a grinder to grind off the teeth and then refined the angle on the end. Works great, just need to come up with something more than duct tape for the handle [:)]

Ryan

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
You can NOT use a short brass.. you need the length of brass for the centerband on the American or DT Euro to press fit onto...
You can use a shorter blank and the directions tell you how... however, you then need to square off the blank before gluing the tube and then gluing the tube so that the exact amount of brass tube is exposed
I have done it both ways and the parting tool method is the fastest and gives me the best joint between the blank and the centerband..

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is the link to Alan Lacer's website and the videos he has http://www.alanlacer.com/Videos.html ... I highly recommend the first and second one... Skew Chisel: The Darkside & The Sweet Side is the one I was talking about... he is very entertaining and makes it real easy to understand... It does not look like Amazon carries it... but if you get it from him you can probably get it autographed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom