Cutting small segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I know everyone who does segmented pens such as the Herringbone 360,the Celtic Knot or say the different "checkerboard" type segmentations have their favorite way of cutting smaller consistantly sized pieces of wood or resin. Do you build a jig or eyeball it? Band saw or tablesaw? I saw in an earlier thread how someone uses their WorkSharp to sand small pieces, which is great since it's never been much use to me for sharpening. I'm always looking to improve how to do something so any idea you have are welcome!

I'm looking for a fairly simple way(jig, method, or technique) to cut many, many small pieces and have them be of a consistant thickness.
Thanks Guys!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I think a lot of people use a tablesaw with a sled. There are several threads on here showing pictures of their sleds. Also some use chop saws. I built a sled by looking at pictures found on this sight.

mick

I think a lot of people use a tablesaw with a sled. There are several threads on here showing pictures of their sleds. Also some use chop saws. I built a sled by looking at pictures found on this sight.
Paul, I've got a sled. What I'm looking for is a way to further enhance the sleds ability to cut very small pieces consistantly.

GaryMGg

Given the fact that you've got a TS Sled, to make small pieces consistently identical:

build a jig with holddowns and an adjustable stop.
Having a stop which positions pieces in the same spot each time is key.

And, Check this: http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/VacuumRipFence/VacuumRipFence.htm

Also, an unused pencil having a new eraser makes a very good, safe hold-down while cutting small pieces for segmenting.

rherrell

Here's what I use.............
attachment.php

attachment.php

It's made from scraps I had lying around the shop. I can clamp stops anywhere so it's possible to get paper thin pieces if I need them. I have several more hold downs and angle jigs that I didn't photograph. I just use pieces of 1/4" hardboard to make angle jigs, just cut the angle you want, clamp it down and hold your blank against it. It's fast and easy.:wink:

Attachments

• sleds 003.jpg
    sleds 003.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 415
  • sleds 004.jpg
    sleds 004.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 329
Top Bottom