Cutting PR molds on band saw?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scturner

Hello all,

Had a question for those who have cut their PR molds into blanks on a band saw. I just started cutting some of the molds into blanks and found as I started cutting them that it was snowing tiny resin flakes all over the place!! probably cause there so light and brittle.

I've got a Delta 14" BS with 4" hose to the DC hooked to it but it is absolutly no help at all where this stuff is concerned. The DC works great for sawdust but this is something different. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what if anything, can be done to help. I'm thinking a table saw but don't have one at present.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

I am one of the unfortunate ones who does not own a band saw, therefor I use my radial arm saw. My big saw (as I call it) is hooked to the dust collecter, but the PR chips, flakes, snow, whatever you call it, just flys around the back of the saw.

The dust collecter does help a LITTLE BIT, but not like sawdust. I usually leave the DC running for a few min. after I'm done cutting just in case some of the snow flys into the inlet.

scturner

Hey guys!

Well, it seems so far we're all in the same boat on this one[V]. I've got a small shop and hate to cover it all up with snow. I even got my wife in there holding the shop vac up to the blade and it snowed on her too, needless to say she don't like it much and don't think she'll be back to help anymore.

I've got an old worn out table saw I might try to use outside but need to get a new blade for it so don't know about that either. Maybe I can turn my jigsaw upside down and use it outdoors[:D].

Anyway, got a kick out of your thoughts on this. Maybe we'll figure something out.

Thanks,

wayneis

David bandsaws dust collection systems never seem to work as people would like so many end up converting them. The trick is to cut a hole in the bottom wheel cover and attach a hose from your collector to the hole.

Wayne

elody21

Do you think the blade is too heavy toothed? I have a 9" band saw with a fine blade and a 14" with the larger toothed blade. I always cut PR with the smaller toothed blade and I do not get the "snow" effect.

scturner

Wayne,
Yes I've heard of folks doing that on their band saws but mine does a good job for wood with really no problems as far as suction goes. I have noticed they are lacking though above where the hose attaches and the table. That area is pretty much wide open to suction loss. If it ever gets to where it really starts loosing strength I might just try to seal it some how but it's ok for wood.

elody21,
Yes, my BS has a 1/2" Timberwolf blade with 3- 4 teeth per inch and that might just be the problem, (I think you're on to something here). Makes sense that a fine tooth blade, maybe say 6- 10,12 teeth per inch would make much much less snow![:D]

As it is now, my blade just chews up the resin in chuncks rather than fine cutting. You've got me thinking that maybe I will see about getting a really fine tooth blade for the BS just for PR blanks, you know, swap out the blades as needed. I think that will work just great!!!

Actually, my wife has been wanting a scroll saw so that was her remedy to the problem[:)], if only they came with a fence, that would be the ticket.

Thanks for the help all, I believe I got it licked now!

53Jim

David,
You mentioned using a scrollsaw to cut PR. I actually did use a scroll saw to cut a few blanks. I laid a square on the blank where the cut was to be made, and followed the edge of the square with the blade.
Not a bad job of cutting, but not perfect, either. The good thing about that method is you can adjust the amount of falling in the shop by adjusting the speed of the saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom