Cutting Pen Tubing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Ogden

I'm requesting recommendations for accurately cutting "bulk" pen tubing. I have a small, cheap pipe cutter like one might use for copper, but it's not very good for cutting pen tubing.

Any comments appreciated! Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwzrd

I have one of these little saws from Harbor Freight and it works great.

1703021707469.png

its_virgil

I cut a lot of 10" tubes to length for various reasons. I have not found a way to cut them to the exact length needed. I cut them a bit long and tune to length on the disc sander I use to square pen blanks. I am not happy using tubing cutters at all. I have a small "razor saw" with a metal miter box. I also use the band saw (with proper blade) and I use the small cut off saw sold by Harbor Freight and other. Cutting long and tuning to length on a disc sander has worked well for me.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

egnald

Carbide wheel pipe cutters crush the tube too much and saws regardless of the type do not leave a clean and square enough edge. I use a somewhat larger version of the HF saw like Scott (woodwzrd) showed- it has a little more power and uses 4-inch cut off wheels. Then I do as Don (its-virgil) does using my disc sander along with the appropriate sleeve to fit the pen tube. It works great! - Dave

JohnU

I used to use the band saw and chop saw trying to get consistent lengths. I bought this one with the fence and adjustable length stopper and can cut perfect lengths now. I know I will have to replace the saw at some point because they are not built to withstand constant use but it appears to be an easy swap on the base with a couple screws. It's worth the price to cut perfect length tubes 10 x faster than I did measuring each one.

Attachments

• IMG_7629.jpeg
    IMG_7629.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 39

Kenny Durrant

I did what John U did. I started the way you and most others did and wasn't happy. Then I bought the one that Woodwzrd posted and it helped but the bed of the saw isn't even with the clamp. When I bought the last one all my issues were taken care of. The base and stops make all the difference.

jttheclockman

Have to ask because all those saws probably come off the same assembly line. They are clones of one another. But how many have broken off that ridiculous safety stop plastic thing. It is on all those saws. Also how many have changed the blades and where did you get them? very easy to make your own board and stops if you buy just the saw for $30.

KMCloonan

Have to ask because all those saws probably come off the same assembly line. They are clones of one another. But how many have broken off that ridiculous safety stop plastic thing. It is on all those saws. Also how many have changed the blades and where did you get them? very easy to make your own board and stops if you buy just the saw for $30.
Now that you mention it John, I think I will break off the "safety stop" today. What a Pain in the @SS it is. ;)

Curly

I have a metal lathe and one of my chucks is a 5C. The collets for 5C can have a stop put in the back. I set it and then adjust the carriage position and part off the tube, make any adjustments needed and then part off the rest. It goes pretty quick and there are no deformed tubes.

Pete

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
…,,Also how many have changed the blades and where did you get them? very easy to make your own board and stops if you buy just the saw for $30.
You should be able to find the blades at your local hardware store most likely a Mom and Pop not one of the big box stores. The one I work at has them all the time that's where I get mine.

WriteON

Not cheap but well made and should last.
I like mine...

Attachments

• 715oFUz6ndS._AC_SL1500_.jpeg
    715oFUz6ndS._AC_SL1500_.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom