Cutting pen tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Borderbear

Is there a better way to cut pen tubes than using a regular plumbing pipe cutter? I find this kind of bends the ends just a little and makes it difficult to assemble with the small denting at the ends where the brass tube is cut.

Thanks
Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NotURMailman

Just a note: lower the blade through the brass SLOWLY. Trying to get in a hurry will at least result in a rough jagged cut, and at worst knock the tube from the clamp and/or crush it.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You can use a band-saw with a fine tooth blade, one of these (you can find something similar at Michaels or Hobby Lobby) or I personally use an older version of this (PSI has a version of this for about 2X the price).

its_virgil

All of the above suggestions work and work well but the HF cutoff saw that NotMyMailman:biggrin: suggested is what I use. Mine is screwed to a piece of plywood and I use a stop clamped to the board at the correnct distance for the length I need. Measure once, set up the stop and start cutting. I cut several for each length I need at one time. It won't cut much of anything else, though.:biggrin:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sylvanite

I used to cut tubes with the HF mini cutoff saw. It works, but the saw eventually burns out. I went through three of them before upgrading to a Proxxon cut-off saw. I also put a metal cut-off blade on the Proxxon. The HF saw blades don't stay sharp very long.

I hope that helps,
Eric

kooster

The HF model is great for the price AND . . . if you get one of their 20% off coupons, the deal is even sweeter !!!

plantman

Watch for the HF cutoff saw to go on sale, than use the 20% off coupon. I paid less than $20 for mine. It gives you straight, clean, and even cuts on tubes and blanks. Only gripe is that you have to turn your blanks if they are 3/4 inch thick or more. For cutting blanks, I use the HF mini miter saw,or the small table top band saw. Jim S

Last edited:

robersonjr

I got the Proxxon at a closeout sale, what a fine tool to cut the tubes with, the 30 tooth carbide works like a dream.

Top Bottom