Cutting brass tubes for cigar holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kmetzger

kmetzger

I just completed the Crafts Supplies cigar holder and realize I should have cut at least one of the brass tubes shorter. The thing is a massive 9 inches long. https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/...th-Cutter-Punch-Tip-Kit?term=cigar+holder+kit
The instructions recommend cutting the tubes to length with a hacksaw, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how to hold the tube in a vise and cut a square edge if I decide to make another one. Any suggestions? And what would be the best overall length for a cigar holder if I wanted to sell one? Your ideas appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Kim; Make a clamp from a scrap of wood blank. Drill an off-centered hole with a close fit to the tube into a scrap of wood. Cut two saw kerfs into the clamp, not entirely thru the clamp. One cut across the clamp, the other lengthwise. The cross cut is your cut mark. Measure, mark, and insert tube. Clamp in vise. Cut thru tube with hack saw. You can also use a table saw or band saw as long as you do not cut entirely thru the clamp.

donstephan

Would damage to the brass tube be reduced if you turn a dowel to be a tight inside fit before cutting?

If you have a sanding jig for dressing the ends of tubed blanks, could you cut the blank 1/16" long and then sand to final length? Sanding would leave a burr, but shouldn't deform the tube otherwise.

magpens

Would damage to the brass tube be reduced if you turn a dowel to be a tight inside fit before cutting? Yes, Don. Have done.

If you have a sanding jig for dressing the ends of tubed blanks, could you cut the blank 1/16" long and then sand to final length? Sanding would leave a burr, but shouldn't deform the tube otherwise. An Exacto knife will easily trim off the internal burr. Coarse sandpaper for the external burr.

Hope the comments in red are appropriate.

kmetzger

Thanks a lot for your ideas. I now think a good way to go would be to glue the tube into the long blank and cut it to length on the bandsaw. Would cutting into thin brass damage the blade?

jttheclockman

Thanks a lot for your ideas. I now think a good way to go would be to glue the tube into the long blank and cut it to length on the bandsaw. Would cutting into thin brass damage the blade?

All depends on the blade used. I use a metal blade on my saw when cutting metal. Wood blades cost too much to ruin for a few brass tubes. I cut all kinds of metals as seen here. With a sled I get perfect cuts and a little clening up of the burrs is all that is needed.

kmetzger

If I make another one, I think I'll glue the tube into the blank and cut it to length with a thin parting tool. Any ideas on the best length when making one to sell? Nine inches seems like way too big for the average cigar smoker.

VotTak

Churchill size is the most practical. it is usually 7". So if you make it like 7.5" internal length - you will be fine. Having that it fits 52 ring cigars meaning torpedo will fit if length will be around 6" (their length is usually 5.5".

BTW I have a question. What do you use to drill hole for the tube? 24.1 forstner bit which is recommended or something else? How does that hole fit the tube?
Thanks.

kmetzger

Thanks for the info on the length, VotTak. In fact, I cut my 9" monster down to just under 8" and it looks a lot better. I ended up mounting the long tube between centers and starting the cut with a thin parting tool and finishing the cut with a hacksaw while the blank was spinning. It worked out great.
The bit that came with the kit was actually a 61/64" Forstner. The tube wouldn't fit so I wrapped 100 grit sandpaper around a dowel and enlarged the hole slightly per instructions. It didn't take much sanding.
One thing I don't like about this cigar holder is that the stainless steel cap on the short end is hard to open because it's so slick. I'm going to switch to the Rogue.

Top Bottom