Customer Service Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

OK, so maybe I'm uptight, or maybe I'm having bad luck getting good CS lately. Or maybe I'm an idiot. Who knows.

But answer me this- if you brought in a pen kit that had a damaged part, would you expect the whole kit to be replaced, or just that part? Remember we're not talking about a large piece of machinery here.

Here's the situation: I had built a Majestic that I purchased from Rockler. The centerband was loose. Had to explain if you don't know the pen, but let's just say the TiN decorative band rattled within the solid chrome/ whatver outer edge of the band. That's not something you expect on a $60 kit (I paid less, with coupons, and at Penn State Ind they're like $35, but that's their normal retail at Rockler). So, I tried to disassemble the kit, and found that I couldn't do so without basically cutting into the barrel/ tube and scrap it.

I bring the kit into Rocker, expecting a total swap out. Just recently, I had a Robusto from Woodcraft replaced. They swapped out the whole thing, though they didn't replace the maple blank (I didn't ask). Then, I had an El Grande from Rockler swapped out (different Rockler in my area than the one I just went to to replace the Majestic). In addition, to the El Grande, they replaced the blank. I didn't ask for them to, they just did.

At this Rockler store, the manager said he'd replace the centerband- and that's it. Initially, he said he wanted to build up his stock of spare parts. I was curious, and mentioned that usually they just replace the whole kit, and send the defective kit to the manufacturer.

So, since the cap tubve was detroyed trying to disassemble the kit for the band, I asked if they could swap the entire kit, as per usual. His response was "I'm sure you'd LOVE for me to give you a $60 kit for FREE" (I stiffled a comment saying that it's only $60 with the rediculous markup over the PSI website). I'm thinking "No, not free. You'd take my kit that is assembled with the defective center band." and make a comment to that end. No deal. So, I asked if I could get the tubes from the kit, and he said no. I asked then if I could BUY the tubes from the kit. His retort was that I could buy the whole thing for half off, as a defect. I pointed out that it IS defective, since the centerband is loose, and I STILL wouldn't have the tubes I need. I left out the fact that 50% off of what they sell it for is the price of the kit from PSI, so I might as well buy it from them complete. So that was it- he wouldn't swap the kit or separate out the tubes. I didn't say word one in argument, since I was too tired to bother.

Walking away from the store (after purchasing some blanks on clearance), I decided that I never will go to that Rockler store ever again. There's a larger, nicer one not too far away anyways, and I know the manager. And since they all get their wood from the same corporate wood warehouse, there's really no need at all to go tothe smaller, more out-of-the-way store.

Now, Rockler's a good company, and if I called their CS 1-800 number, I'm almost positive I could ask and get a set of tubes to be sent. Maybe not, but I've had service in line with that from them before. The only thing stopping me from doing so, is I don't want to get the manager in trouble. Sounds odd, but I just think he's green as far as being a manager- so I'm don't want him to get any flak for what I believe to be poor service.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong? Do you think they should have swapped the whole kit, or at least provided replacement tubes? Or did the manager handle things correctly?

Thanks, I'm curious to see if my perception of what should have been done is off of the norm.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief Hill

Call the 800 number and complain. IMHO a manager should know better. I wouldn't worry about him getting in trouble. Either way it's not your problem.

I would call. If the store manager gets contacted, maybe he will start to understand what customer service should be. If customer service doesn't help, I would contact a territory manager. They would definitely care.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have to say that I am amused that after the way they dealt with you on the problem with the kit that you still took the time to finish your shopping and gave them more of your money.

Rifleman1776

Good responses. That manager is a jerk. He simply does not understand the value of good customer service. Don't go back.
There is an old saying in business that if you please a customer he might tell two or three people. If you make a customer unhappy with poor service he will tell many-many people.

jleiwig

While I agree that to give excellent customer service they should have replaced the whole kit, I'm pretty sure that all they would be obligated to replace would be the defective center band.

Good luck either way.

jfoh

Times are tight and a smart retailer does not try to **** off a customer. Too many places to spend your money and with the net all retail outlets are in direct competition with the entire world. You would never accept this from a net dealer would you? No.

Call the number you will be doing them a favor. If this manager pisses off too many customers, before he gets the picture about what customer service is all about, that smaller store may end up folding. Who wins then? No one. Customer service is about the next sale, not the last one. Build up good will and keep people coming back. How hard is that to understand. Chase them away with bad service or a smart a-- attitude and smaller retailers are dead. Call the number.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
If you're upset enough to boycott a store completely, then the store deserves to know this, and to know why you're boycotting...Otherwise, your boycott goes unnoticed and does no good.

So in my opinion, a pleasant call to Rockler customer service asking for a clarification of store policy cannot be remiss. Could be that you'll discover they're only obliged to repair the damaged kit by replacing the broken items...

I don't really see why you're upset, though...you wanted a new centreband to fix your kit..they offered you a new centreband, and now your kit would be fine...why do you need an entirely new one? It seems that the store's response to your problem was appropriate, unless I'm missing something...

JerrySambrook

I have to ask why you did not inspect the parts before assembly?
At that price, that would one of the first things to do even before glueing up.

I do agree that the manager might have been able to handle things better though.

snyiper

Why would you put a person in the Management position if they were green? That is a sure way to take any branch business down. I am sure they are paying him manager wages and corperate would not like to hear of his response to your issue. I on the other hand would make a big old fuss in my normal loud obnoxiuos voice so all could be heard then make the assurance to call corporate. That is just my way of doing things, I work in customer service and expect to be treated like we treat people. Sure we all have bad days perhaps this was his but a call from corporate sure will make him get happy again!!!

jkeithrussell

I have to say that I am amused that after the way they dealt with you on the problem with the kit that you still took the time to finish your shopping and gave them more of your money.

My thoughts exactly. I don't give money to people who don't treat me fairly.

THarvey

Call. I would not worry about getting the manager in trouble.

More likely, Rockler will use this as a learning experience for him. By calling you are doing him a favor. If Rockler does not know, they cannot help him become a better manager.

Calling helps you resolve your problem, helps Rockler correct a potentially bigger customer service problem, and helps the manager improve.

Mikey

Is it a pile on if I also agree with everyone else and say that the CS department deserves a call? lol!

A company needs to realize that if one of their parts goes defective it could mean that the entire thing needs to be replaced. I also agree with the other poster above though who says to always inspect the kit parts first so you will never waste your time like this.

Good luck calling CS. If I would have been the guy not getting the parts exchange, I would have grabbed several items I wanted, walked up to the counter, laid them down and then told the guy that he just lost that as a sale and walked away.

Mike

HSTurning

Call. It can't hurt.

The manager at my local Rockler is a good guy.
The asst. manager.....I won't even talk to anymore. He had an additude with me one day and I let the manager and other emplyees know.

BigguyZ

UPDATE- I called last week, I think the 12th. Anyways, I spoke to the CS rep, and she was very understanding and helpful.

The next day, I received a call from the manager, who advised me that I can have the rest of the kit. Not too friendly, but I understand why he wouldn't be.

Anyway, I went into the store, and I was happy to see that the manager wasn't there. I walked up to one of the employees, and explained that I have a replacement for the pen waiting for me. He was going to grab another brand new kit, but I let him know that there should be a specific kit already set aside in the closet. He grabbed the kit, and the replacement was already rung up on a tag attached to the box. I took the new centerband that I was originally given, gave them the old centerband in the kit box, and the assembled pen body and loose cap parts.

That was it- simple and easy. Kinda like how it should have happened from the start, IMHO.

But I was talking to the guys and explained what happened, that the manager refused to just do a clean swap out of the kit, and they seemes really confused. Meaning, they were wondering why the manager would do that. One even asked if it wasn't the assistant manager- thinking the actual manager wouldn't make that mistake. I told them the name, and the employee said "Yep, that's the manager...". So yeah, they thought it odd that the issue was handled how it was originally as well.

Since then, I've gone back one more time- though it was only to get $5 panache kits. ;)

Top Bottom