Customer requesting $500 pen - help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I don't know if this has been suggested already, but if the recipient is a collector, he may also appreciate something classic like bakelite. With the looks and cost of that material, it could certainly be worthy of an expensive pen...

-Barry

MHKogan

M3 has become the material of choice for the high end luxury gift market. When you combine the precious metal plating's of today's high end pen kits (Majestic, Emperor etc) with the magnificent M3 Mokume Gane you cross the bridge from pen to jewelry.

M3 is extremely easy to work with and finish to a high polish gem quality professional finish that can be laser engraved.

Richard from RandBCrafts.com offers a discount for forum members on M3 blanks or you can purchase from Penn State.

Stevej72

The customer decided on a Jr. Emperor. Still trying to decide between Ebonite and M3. I ordered a black gold M3 blank for myself so he can see what it looks like. Also, I will order an 18K nib when the pen is completed and the customer is happy with it. I will post pictures when it is complete.

killer-beez

I wish I had this problem. Congrats on the return business. Here is my two cents and not sure if this has been mentioned but I would get it serialized (via laser engraving). That way the pen can be claimed on homeowners insurance but more then that it will give a feeling of exclusivity (one of a kind) and uniqueness. Here is someone that might be able to serialize it for you: http://www.penzbydesign.com/default.asp Good luck...

nava1uni

• No more ivory for me...it cracks.
  • Anthony at http://www.thegoldennib.com/ has gold nibs...large and small.
  • I can't see selling an antler pen for $500.
  • Just because they have a $500 budget does not mean they have to spend all of it to get a quality fountain pen.
  • Ebonite would be a good choice. It comes in several colors and patterns.
  • I would think that a real fountain pen collector would not be a great fan of a wooden pen.
  • If you choose wood, I would strongly consider a piece of stabilized wood.
  • Take or leave any of my comments.
  • Good luck with your deliberation and decision.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I agree with Don's 4th point. Make a beautiful pen, but it doesn't have to cost the entire budget and then you might also get return business from the recipient of the pen. I would do bakelite or ebonite as that is the material of many collector's pens plus it makes a beautiful and classy pen.

Stevej72

It will go in a wooden box because he wants engraving on it. He asked for a dark color box, but is looks like Kallenshaan only has the lighter shade, so I think that is what I will use.

Rfturner

Congratulations on this pen, I wish that I had this problem. I agree that the fancy Glitz and glamour pens don't always appeal to the pen Collector. Sometimes simplicity is best

Top Bottom