Customer Request (help)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mac

Mac

I have a request for a mortar and pestle. I found one in my research so far, corian. Would red oak work. Has anybody out there in IAP land ever made one, and not just to look at, but that will take the beating and banging. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boz

I have one for cooking. It is ceramic and only the handle in maple. I don't think even using a hardwood like maple would hold up to the grinding.

Russianwolf

did a google search and found a few. I'd avoid Red Oak as the pores would tend to trap things especially if they aren't completely dry (use mine to crush garlic and herbs for example).

I'd go for something with tight pores, Maple, boxwood, etc.

TomW

Have a look at ulu bowls (native Alaskan). These are routinely made from hardwoods, such as maple. Mine stands up well to the ulu knife. There are some tutorials on the net on making ulu bowls. The technique should be the same.

Tom

kludge77

Yes you can totally make it out of wood.

Avoid exotics or anything in the rosewood family. If you can make a rolling pin or cutting board from it, it would make a good mortal and pestle.

I'm thinking Beech, Hard Maple, Cherry...

jd99

I saw one made on the turning show on TV he made the mortar out of walnut, and put an ebony insert in the bottom, and the pestle was out of ebony also.

Mac

Thanks so far. I have some cherry, mesquite,red oak,black walnut, and some others that I know would'nt work. Thinking about segmenting corian for the inside with wood outside for the mortar and on the business end of pestle use corian and wood handle.
Any suggestions on a price for such an animal. I don't want to price to cheap, as I may get other orders, from this office, and am limited on supplies on hand(corian). Just a round about price would help. I have found factory made ones from $13-$65. I am thinking on the higher side of these or more. What are your thoughts? It will be two different turnings and also both will be segmented.

Top Bottom